Calculations for Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2012 at 2:22:22 #804961

Hi,

After reading a lot of posts, I’m deciding to get the Swiss Half Fare Card at CHF 110. Please help to see if I had done my calculations correctly. Thank you very much.

Day 1: Domodossola to Brig (when it states as “valid”, is it free or i must pay half fare?), Brig to Spiez to Interlaken ost CHF 45 (half fare to pay CHF 23)
    Day 2: Interlaken ost to Jungfraujoch to Interlaken ost CHF 190 (half fare to pay CHF 95)
    Day 3: Interlaken to Geneva CHF 67 (half fare to pay CHF 34)
    Day 4: Geneva to Paris (no half fare)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    2 March 2012 at 10:54:19 #835004

<Day 1: Domodossola to Brig (when it states as “valid”, is it free or i must pay half fare?)>

Unless there are some special arrangements SBB makes from Domodossola, you must pay the fare from Domodossola to the border station then half fare from there to Brig. HFC only works within Switzerland. And you can only buy the HFC either in advance and have it sent to your home OR at a train station within Switzerland. You can’t buy a HFC in Italy so if you want to use it for this trip you need to buy it in advance

< Day 4: Geneva to Paris (no half fare)>

Likewise, the portion of your trip from Geneva to the border is half fare, then full fare within France.

The train staff can sell you tickets doing the proper math.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    2 March 2012 at 10:54:46 #835005

Oh, and the answer to the rest of your questions is “Yes”

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 March 2012 at 3:23:04 #835006

Hi Kim,
    Many thanks for your replies. I’ll be getting the HFC at Brig.

I’ve done some calculations for the benefit of others who might be taking the same route; getting the HFC at station or order online.

Milan to Brig: Smart Fare E19.00.

Milan to Domodossola: Mini Fare E9.00
    Domodossola to Brig: with HFC E9.80 or Smart Fare E19.00 or Adult/Standard E15.50

• The thread ‘Calculations for Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.