Can I use SBB Mobile app with Half Fare Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 6:15:46 #811701

I’ve downloaded the SBB Mobile app and would like to use it during my trip later this month. However, I do not see a place to designate the card for the discount. There is a place to enter a 10-digit number for the Half Price Card but my Half Fare ticket, good for 30-days does not have a 10 digit number, only a 9-digit number and letter which did not work. Any help with this? Thanks so much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    6 May 2017 at 10:30:16 #862876

Hi couleecat, thanks for joining us!

The 10 digit number asked for in the app is for Half-Fare Travelcards which are used by Swiss residents. What you have is a Swiss Half Fare Card, meant for tourists. As far as I know, you should still be able to purchase tickets with 50% reduction through the app though. You’ll first have to create an account and pick a payment method. Then, enter your departure and destination station and a list of connections will be displayed. Swipe left on the connection of your choice for ticket options. You’ll then be asked whether or not you have a Half-Fare Travelcard. Enter that you do have one: although the Half-Fare Travelcard and Swiss Half Fare Card technically aren’t the same, they do provide the same discounts. Nowhere in this process I had to enter a Travelcard number. Does this work for you?

Apart from the SBB Mobile app you can also use our page myswissalps.com/traint ickets/switzerlandhalf fare/price. Our partner Happyrail sells 50% discounted tickets for Swiss Half Fare Card holders. Once you’re at their website, click on the passenger icon in the upper segment, fill out your age and click “Discount cards” to select the Swiss Half Fare Card. Click “Save” and you’ll be able to buy reduced tickets. No need to enter card numbers or whatsoever.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2017 at 18:08:57 #862877

Thank you so much. For some odd reason it automatically calculated the fare at 1/2 price.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 May 2017 at 3:52:59 #862878

Hi couleecat,

Have you tried the demo purchase mode which can be reached via “Demo Purchase Mode” at the bottom of My Settings. Exite demo mode using the same “button”.

Once in there and you go to buy a ticket you can see how to edit passengers and indicate whether they are half-fare or not. Once you have set that you either see (1/1) next to the User or (1/2) for half-fare passenger.

If you are just looking at the connections screen it will say “Tickets from CHF …” at the bottom. This is always the half-fare price.

Somewhere along the way it asked me to enter a number for a GA card or Half-fare Card but I can’t for the life of me find were that is. I suspect it is somewhere along the way when you first install the app.

I have seen other posts on this forum where Swiss Half Fare Card holders have used the app to buy tickets and even 2nd Class SwissTravel Pass holders have used it to buy route specific class upgrades. I have advice from SBB (which I have printed out to carry with me) that I can use the app to purchase such upgrade using the Half-Far Travel Card option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2017 at 17:39:06 #862879

Thank you, I had found the Demo area and everything seems to be working perfectly for me. I appreciate your helpful comments.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 11:07:40 #862880

Rockoyster…is the info from SBB you mentioned available on their site or did you receive it separately? I am struggling with the same thing and would appreciate it very much.

OH geologist

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2017 at 14:04:20 #862881

I downloaded the app and signed in and all the info mentioned was there. I still am unsure how it knew I wanted the half price fare but that is what it presents.

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 May 2017 at 14:25:17 #862882

Hi couleecat,

I think half fare is picked by default, as most Swiss residents have a Half-Fare Travelcard. Rockoyster explained how to change this to 1/1 (full fare) by editing your passenger’s information in the buying process. You don’t need that however. I think you’re ready to buy your half fare tickets now!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 May 2017 at 19:49:00 #862883

Hello OH Geologist,

Do up mean the SBB info I mentioned regarding class upgrade? If so, then no it isn’t spelled out clearly on the SBB website. I emailed them and got confirmation. I have a similar email from Rhätische Bahn regarding Glacier and Bernina Express upgrades. I have printed both emails to carry with me just in case any problems.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2017 at 1:12:08 #862884

Thank you all. This site has been wonderful in prep. ..ideas, experience, and willingness to help. Thank you.

• The thread ‘Can I use SBB Mobile app with Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.