Can you help me choose?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2011 at 11:52:02 #804432

I thought I was an experienced train traveller, but I get really confused with all the choices of passes in Switzerland.

We will be travelling 9th of July from Holland to Zurich with the city night line.
    The 10th of July we will travel from Zurich to Sedrun (Graubunden). The 14th of July we will be travelling back from Sedrun to Zurich (and in the evening form Zurich to Holland)
    So we will be 5 days in Switzerland. We do want to see somethings but mostly in the area. I already have a “tagespass Rhatische Bahn erste klas” so I need the cheapest/best option to come and go to Sedrun and maybe a few short trips in Graubunden.

is it worth buying the Swiss saves pass, or is it better to buy a Swiss transfer pass? Or maybe just buy single tickets?
    I hope some one can help me, since I have no clue!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 June 2011 at 7:49:04 #833310

Hi kiro7480, and welcome to the forum! I’m not able to retrace the ‘Tagespass’ offered by the RhB. Could you let me know what this is and what discounts it offers? This may be important in deciding which Swiss rail pass – if any – suits your plans best.

If I don’t take this Tagespass into account, I’d say that a Swiss Half Fare Card is best. It offers a 50% discount on your trips in Switzerland, including the inbound and outbound trips between the Swiss border, Zurich and Sedrun and other short trips in Graubünden.

If you have a clear overview of the trips you’d like to make while staying in Sedrun, calculations would enable you to find out which pass is most economical.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2011 at 9:15:37 #833311

Hello Annika,

Thank you for the welcome.

The tickets for Zurich to Sedrun for two persons will be around 170 euro. I think the other days will be around Sedrun, walking or taking a cable car since we have never been here before.
    Maybe see the Swiss Grand Canyon near Flims and go to teh Toma lake.
    One day we want to go to Chur and maybe take a part of the Bernina or Glacier Express.
    I was hoping to use the tagespass then. This pass is not for sale, I think, because it was a gift from the Graubunden tourism office (I won this, together with our stay)
    On the card it says: Am entwertungstag gultig zu beliebigen Fahrten auf dem Netz der Rhatischen Bahn. Bei Benutzung zuschlagspflichtiger Zuge ist der taifgemasse Zuschlag zu bezahlen.
    My translation (I am not so good with German language) would be that it it valid on all trains of the Rhatische Bahn, but that I have to pay extra on trains with extra charges such as the bernina.

The half fare card is around 190 euro plus the half fare cards to Sedrun and back which half price will be 85 euro so I think we do not travel enough to have advantage with this card.
    I thougt about the transfer ticket but as far as I can see, this would be more expensive then buying single tickets… (maybe I am not looking correctly)

I hope you have an advice for me, I want to thank you in advance for thinking with me!

Annika
    7124 posts
    26 June 2011 at 10:40:54 #833312

Hi kiro7480. Thanks for explaining this Tageskarte. Well, if there’s already one day on which you can profit from free travel with this pass, and your other trips will be short and local, the Swiss Half Fare Card may be too expensive indeed. The Swiss Transfer Ticket is as well (a regular return trip between Zurich and Sedrun costs CHF 104,40, and the Swiss Transfer Ticket is more expensive). So in all, buying regular tickets may the best solution for you.

• The thread ‘Can you help me choose?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.