Cant decide which pass!!

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2014 at 16:17:01 #806290

Group of 2 traveling to Switzerland/Germany in May… Loose itinerary as we want to to sightseeing things on optimal sunny/clear days – this just includes ideas of what we would like to do, not necessarily a strict itinerary.

Day 1: Arrive in Zurich – travel to Lucerne (would like to ditch the bags and clean up vs storing bags and seeing Zurich this day). Maybe see Rigi or Titilus this day depending on how tired we are.

Day 2: Golden Round trip – see Pilatus.

Day 3: Trip to Zurich to see the city.

Day 4: Train to Wengen

Day 5: Jungfraujoch

Day 6: Mannlichen hike

Day 7: Either Interlaken/lake Brienz/Thun or Schlithorn

Day 8: Train to Munich

So if I have understood correctly an 8 day Swiss Saver Pass would allow the most flexibility? Vs a 4 day flexi pass for the big travel days and use it for half off on the others? If I get the Swiss Pass, does this eliminate buying tickets for most rides (except the Jungfraujoch?)?

Also – what is best ticket to purchase to get from Wengen to Munich? Does the Swiss pass get me to border where I need to purchase a new ticket?

I really appreciate everyone’s help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    1 April 2014 at 16:55:02 #839694

Hi travelduo,

Indeed choosing a pass can be challenge. Did you check this page? It explains the process in detail, but you do need an itinerary, or estimated itinerary as a first step.

Despite the name of the Swiss Flexi Pass, it is the Swiss Pass that offers most flexibility, as it includes unlimited free traveling every day. So you are right about not needing tickets. You can just board any train, bus or boat. An exception applies to cable cars etc. to the peaks, as they are discounted so you need a ticket. In your case that applies to the Jungfraujoch and the Pilatus. Still part of those trips are free because you have a Swiss Pass. Only the last legs require discounted tickets. Just show your pass at the ticket desk and the personnel knows which ticket you need.

You could either use a 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass (day 1, 4, 8) or an 8-day Swiss Saver Pass for convenience and to keep all options open. Please check the links for pass details, prices, promotions, etc.

Either pass would get you from Wengen to the Swiss border without further tickets. The border point depends on the route you choose (see the timetable) but is most probably Basel or Schaffhausen. From that point on you need a pass for Germany or a point to point ticket to Munich. Just purchase that in advance, there is no need to get off the train at the border, that would take too much time. Also trains in Germany may require seat reservations, and buying those just before boarding is a bit late.

I hope this helps you out.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 April 2014 at 16:07:53 #839695

Thanks so much. Just to clarify…if I use the swiss flexi pass on days 1,4, and 8, then I would get half off on the other days of travel (ie. day 3 to Zurich, day 7 to Interlaken, cable cars – like Jungfraujoch and Pilatus)? And the 8 day Swiss Pass would cover day 3 and 7, but still need tickets (discounted) to Jungfraujoch and Pilatus? So it seems that as far as cost, if half off the trip to Zurich plus half off the trip to Interlaken (day 7) is less than the difference between the Swiss Flexi Pass and the full Swiss pass it is more economical to get the flexi pass right?? I think I get it! Thanks again.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 April 2014 at 17:48:34 #839696

You are welcome travelduo. Your statements are mostly correct. Indeed with the Swiss Flexi Pass you get half off on the other days, the Jungfrau is an exception with 25% off on the last section, see here. The Swiss Pass would cover everything for free, except the last sections of mountain trips, which are discounted. You can download the maps from the pass pages I linked to in my previous post to see everything in detail.

Regarding the costs you’d best do the calculation as explained here. That’s the only way to know for sure. If you prefer convenience you can forget about the calculation and pick the Swiss Pass to have everything included every day (including free museums, city transport, boat trips, etc.)

• The thread ‘Cant decide which pass!!’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.