Car rental Interlaken to Lugano or Menaggio, Italy

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 14:28:22 #812922

Hi all,

I was curious to know if anyone has any feedback on:

1. Renting a car and driving from Interlaken to Lake Como (Menaggio)

v.

2. Driving from Interlaken to Lugano, dropping the car off and taking a bus to Menaggio ?

After our visit in Wengen we plan to rent a car and drive to Menaggio. To avoid the fee of dropping a car off in another country we are considering dropping the car off in Lugano, taking the bus/train to Menaggio, and then rent another car in Italy to continue our trip. If it’s not a quick bus/train ride then we might keep the car to save time since we plan to drive through Italy after our visit.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    12 August 2017 at 10:45:01 #868195

Hi red6277, thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

I agree that renting a car in Switzerland to go to Italy probably is an expensive option, but you’d have to double check that with the rental agency. I’d keep things simple and not rent a car until you reach Italy.

A train trip from Wengen to Lugano takes 5h15 and 3 changes. A car trip will take 3h30, assuming no traffic jams and excluding the time it takes in Interlaken to go to the rental agency and to drop it off in Lugano. It also requires 2 changes (Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken) because you’ll have to train from Wengen to Interlaken anyway. I don’t think there’s any advantage to rent a car for just that Swiss leg, to be honest. Take the train and enjoy the scenery I’d say!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 0:45:44 #868196

That is helpful. Thank you! I really didn’t consider traffic. Are certain areas known for heavy traffic? I appreciate the feedback.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 7:59:38 #868197

Hi red6277,

Mostly around larger towns at rush hour (the usual!). Also around tunnels, like the Gotthard tunnel (between Göschenen and Airolo) there is often a slow down as well as it is only 2 lanes.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2017 at 23:44:45 #868198

>> Also around tunnels, like the Gotthard tunnel (between Göschenen and Airolo) there is often a slow down as well as it is only 2 lanes.

I notice that German has a nice word for that: “Blechlawine” – metal avalanche!

I read in an online Swiss newspaper that at Easter this year, the “Blechlawine” at the north entrance of the Gotthard-Tunnel was already 14 kilometres long by 6:30 on the Friday morning!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 0:18:55 #868199

Thank you all so much! This is the most helpful forum I’ve ever come across!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 7:02:45 #868200

Oh that is a perfect word for it – the Germans always have a word for it.

Holiday weekends are reportedly horrible for car traffic there (so say my friends who have cars!).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Car rental Interlaken to Lugano or Menaggio, Italy’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.