Car train from Brig to Trasquera

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 August 2010 at 15:50:59 #803968

My wife and I are planning a trip in late October and are interested in going to Stresa Italy after visiting Zermatt. I mapped out the route using Google Maps on-line and it’s route says to take the Brig – Iselle train to Trasquera.

Can you tell me about the car/train service and the schedule, ticket cost and best way to purchase tickets (if advance purchase is needed?)

Thanks you very much.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 August 2010 at 5:00:25 #831720

Hello Buckley! The car train from Brig to Iselle leaves every 1 to 2 hours, and the trip takes about 20 minutes. Please check the timetable for the exact departure times. You have to be present at least 3 minutes before the train departs (but it’s wise to get there a bit earlier, so that you’ll have enough time to purchase tickets and get your car on the train). The fare for a single journey is CHF 19.00; the full fare overview can be found on the SBB website. It’s not available in English, but the prices displayed are all for single journeys and the icons will help you out. You can purchase your tickets at the spot before boarding the train.

I hope this answers your questions!

Annika
    7116 posts
    23 August 2010 at 13:38:29 #831721

I forgot to say that there’s a direct car train from Kandersteg to Iselle as well. That’s convenient in case you’re travelling from the north.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2010 at 18:33:23 #831722

Great information thank you.

Would you also recommend staying in Sion or Zermatt for one evening along the way? Can you recommend a place to stay?

Thank you

Annika
    7116 posts
    24 August 2010 at 11:06:37 #831723

Hi buckley! Although Zermatt isn’t exactly on the route to Brig (from either the north, west or east), it’s definitely worth spending a night there. It takes a 40 minute drive from Visp in the Rhone valley to Täsch near Zermatt, where you have to park your car and get on board of the train, as Zermatt is car free. This is a quick and easy transfer though.

Zermatt is considered to be one of the most popular resorts in Switzerland and offers spectacular scenery. If you have enough time, you may consider getting up to one of the many viewing points around Zermatt. The Gornergrat is a great example. If you’d like to book a hotel there for a night, you can take a look at the hotel page.

• The thread ‘Car train from Brig to Trasquera’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.