Cash payment

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2013 at 6:56:45 #806036

Hi!
    Could you please tell me, is it possible to pay in cash in Switzerland? Sorry for this silly question but I’ve heard that in Switzerland cash money is almost not accepted any more, everybody pays by card.
    Thank you!
    Julia.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 May 2013 at 9:53:17 #838809

Hello Julia,
    We have been visiting Switzerland every year since 2001 and have never encountered any problems paying with Swiss francs. In fact we rarely pay by card – only if we make unexpected large purchase I haven’t budgeted for when deciding on how many francs to take with us. A card payment could be useful for things like hotel bills or car rental fees but for everyday shopping, gondola tickets, cafes etc I would say cash is best and quickest way to pay, I hope this helps.
    Enjoy your stay.
    Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2013 at 10:46:25 #838810

Hello Maggie,
    Thank you very much for your detailed answer! So, as far as I can see, in fact it is possible to pay in cash even for hotel bills?
    Julia.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    28 May 2013 at 11:12:46 #838811

Hello Julia,

Although I’m not Maggie, I’ve spent a lot of time in Switzerland and never met any problems with paying in cash. However, let me give you an example. If you stay in a hotel for some time, I can imagine that they would be happier if payments would be done by card, for security reasons. Switzerland is a “safe” country, but who wants that much cash in the house, if you know what I mean. But it will depend on how long your stay is and which hotel you choose, so it’s hard to answer. If you already have chosen a hotel or hotels, you can always ask them via e-mail.

If I were you, I would take cash and a card. For larger amounts you will always be safe, for smaller amounts you will have cash.

Wishing you a nice trip,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2013 at 2:14:27 #838812

Hello Olga,
    thank you very much for your kind reply! I am very grateful to you for your help.
    Julia.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2013 at 15:37:14 #838813

Hi Julia

I too agree with Olga and Maggie. Swiss is tourist friendly. You will not encounter these sort of problems. For large amount like hotel bills, card is preferable and for small amount, be ready with cash

Have a nice journey
    dhivya

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2013 at 4:11:02 #838814

Hi Dhivya,
    thank you very much!
    Julia.

• The thread ‘Cash payment’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.