• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2017 at 3:33:31 #811166

Good day!

Our group will be travelling from Lugano to Zermatt. Our route will be:

Lugano – Milano Centrale – Brig – Zermatt

Since we will change trains in Italy, my questions are:

1. Do we pay an additional fee for changing trains in Italy (we have Swiss Travel Pass so I understand the whole ride to Zermatt is free)

2. I notice at SBB website that there is reservation required. If I reserve seats now, do I need to pay upon reserving? If so, how much? There’s no price indicated at SBB so I’m not sure there is a fee for reserving

3. Some of our companions are Asians and thus needs a Schengen Visa to enter Switzerland. They were given the visa by the Switzerland Embassy though for just a Single entry. Will there be a problem if change trains in Italy?

Hoping someone could answer these.

Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2017 at 8:11:33 #860384

Hi Annpz and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’ll answer the best I can!

1. The Swiss Travel Pass will not cover your trains in Italy – unless you travel Lugano to Brig via Locarno and Domodossola.
    2. You do not need a train reservation unless you are traveling on the Glacier Express from Brig to Zermatt. See here for more details.
    3. I think this would be an issue. You don’t need to travel to Milan in order to get from Lugano to Zermatt – is there a reason you are traveling via Milan?

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2017 at 9:44:42 #860385

Hello Lucas, thank you so much for the fast response 🙂

We were told that using this route is very scenic, thus we chose this way. Is there some other scenic route going to Zermatt?

Looking at SBB timetable, here are the other 2 routes we are considering:

1. Lugano – Göschenen – Visp – Zermatt (this one stay within Switzerland the whole time)

2. Lugano – Giubiasco – Locarno – Domodossola – Brig – Zermatt (I saw you mentioned this earlier, is this a good way for us?)

Regards,

Ann

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 March 2017 at 13:19:17 #860386

Hi Ann,

Yes, I would go with #2 for the scenery. The Swiss Travel Pass does cover that little route through Italy so you will be fine there. See a map of where the STP is valid here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 March 2017 at 3:43:33 #860387

Thank you for the advice Lucas, much appreciated!

• The thread ‘Train route from Lugano to Zermatt’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.