Cheaper train tickets in advance than on the day?

• JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    18 April 2016 at 10:54:31 #808941

Hi,

We are returning to Interlaken for a few days this summer, flying in to Basel. I have tried to find out prices of point to point rail tickets for summer but they don’t seem to be available online yet. I plan to buy a half fare card in advance and a family rail card so that the children go free. Is it much cheaper generally to book tickets in advance than to buy tickets when we arrive in Basel? I would rather not limit myself to a train time in case the flight is delayed but if it saves me a lot of money then I probably will.

Also, if I buy a first class ticket, I presume this means that the children will also get to sit in first class even though they are free?

Many thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 April 2016 at 11:29:21 #850886

Hi JoeyA,

Ticket prices are fixed all year round, so you can already find prices as explained here. You may find slightly different prices through foreign retailers (either lower or higher) because of exchange rates. Tickets are valid for the day unless you include a seat reservation for a specific train, but that’s quite uncommon in Switzerland (see here).

Yes, the children can sit in first class if you buy first class tickets for the adults.

You can print the Swiss Half Fare Card at home. Please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard/ price.

Enjoy your traveling!

JoeyA
    Participant
    57 posts
    18 April 2016 at 11:58:28 #850887

Great thank you – looking the prices I think I’ll go for the Swiss Travel Pass instead as I think I want to do a couple of other trips whilst we are there. It’s great that kids go free!

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 April 2016 at 13:01:11 #850888

You’re welcome Joey. The Swiss Travel Pass would also be more convenient (less tickets to buy) and includes many museums as well. It can be printed at home too: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2016 at 16:06:24 #850889

Hi Arno, on the above website there are different links to buy Swiss travel pass and the cheapest is fro m ACP Rail (£145 for UK residents).I am clicking through it and then selecting 2 travellers and it is showing £302 instead of £290 (2 * £145) . Any idea? Can I get the free family pass online as well?

If I buy now and my travelling plans change (I am travelling end of May) can I cancel it and get full refund? Also do we need to carry our passports for pass verification or a driving licence will suffice?

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 April 2016 at 16:40:01 #850890

Hi nomsat,

They must have changed their prices recently; perhaps even today. The quotes on our website have been adjusted too now.

I would now recommend to get your pass through http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk /en/products/ swisspass. They’re the cheapest, and they can get you the Swiss Travel Pass and Swiss Family Card through e-mail within 3 working days. Be sure to select “Online Ticket” when they ask for the delivery option you prefer.

I think there’s an 85% refund if you cancel, but you’d better check that on their site. I assume your travel insurance will fully cover this if you cancel because of illness.

Your passport number will be printed on the pass. You need to carry both the pass and the passport while traveling.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2016 at 19:36:41 #850891

Thx for quick reply Arno. So it will be £300 for a 4 day pass. Can you please tell me how much would it be if we buy when we are in Switzerland? Also if we are travelling on 27/05 Fri and are in Switzerland till Tue evening (31st May) then would it class 5 days or I can use 4 day pass from Fri night.

Would passport copy be sufficient as a proof? Carrying original passports is a bit of nuisance and risky as well (though I understand Switzerland is one of the safest country in the world)

Arno
    15471 posts
    19 April 2016 at 7:50:58 #850892

Hi nomsat,

All prices, online and local, are listed on myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ price. Online is a bit cheaper. Also it allows you to pay in GBP, so you may save on bank fees & exchange rates, and you save time by printing it at home.

The pass is valid for full calendar days only. It’s explained here.

A passport copy is not sufficient, officially. I don’t know whether it’s a problem in reality. Personally I prefer to travel with the actual passport and have a copy somewhere else just in case. I think the risk of loosing it is a lot bigger than getting robbed, although you do need to pay attention in crowded places.

• The thread ‘Cheaper train tickets in advance than on the day?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.