Cheapest option to travel around Switzerland

Cheapest option to travel around Switzerland

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Momi0701
Momi0701
2 posts
Aug 18, 2011 - 6:30 AM
Hi,

I need a suggestion about the cheapest option to travel around Switzerland. We (2 adults) will be only two days and two nights there and we would like to visit as many places as possible.

Our itinerary would be
August 19: Arrive Geneve Airport in the evening.
August 20: We want to travel from Geneve to Zurich following the same way than the Golden Pass line (visiting Montreux, Interlaken, Lucerne, Zurich). Which would be the cheapest option to do it? Are there other (and cheaper) trains that cover that way? Is it possible to get a discount for Golden Pass Tickets?
Is the Swiss Half Fare Card a good option for us?
At the end of the day we have to return to Geneve because our hotel is there.
August 21: We want to visit other cities near Geneve like Lausanne and Nyon. Once again, which would be the cheapest option to do it?

We are also exploring the possibility of renting a car. This would be cheaper than the train?

Please, help me! This is our first time in Switzerland!
Thanks!
Annika
Annika
4415 posts
expert &
Aug 19, 2011 - 5:55 AM
Hello Momi0701, and welcome! Your itinerary for August 20 isn't realistic, I'm afraid. The Golden Pass line is quite a long route (an ongoing single trip Geneva-Lucerne takes about 6h30), and it would be too much to visit all the towns you mention along the way and to get back to Geneva the same evening. The timetable shows the exact traveling times between all towns, so that'll help you decide if and where you can get out for a short visit.

There won't be that much of a difference between the Swiss Half Fare Card or buying regular train tickets for your itinerary. In order to find out, you should calculate the exact costs. If there's a chance you'll be traveling a bit more than mentioned below, a Swiss Half Fare Card would be more economical. I wouldn't rent a car if I were you: train traveling is comfortable and very scenic. I don't think it's cheaper than traveling by train either.

I hope this helps you out!
Momi0701
Momi0701
2 posts
Aug 19, 2011 - 6:28 AM
Hello Annika thank you for your answer!
I understand what you meant, it's only that I really wanted to go to Lucerne! :( Maybe next time!
So I think I will visit Montreux-Laussane on Saturday and Nyon-Coppet on Sunday.
It is more realistic, isn't it?

Thanks a lot!

Annika
Annika
4415 posts
expert &
Aug 19, 2011 - 6:38 AM
Hi momi0701. Yes, that's definitely more realistic. I understand that you want to make most out of your trip, but Geneva, the lake and its immediate surroundings are beautiful as well. You won't get bored visiting Montreux, Lausanne and Nyon. Have a great time!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016