Cheapest option to travel around Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2011 at 4:30:24 #804617

Hi,

I need a suggestion about the cheapest option to travel around Switzerland. We (2 adults) will be only two days and two nights there and we would like to visit as many places as possible.

Our itinerary would be
    August 19: Arrive Geneve Airport in the evening.
    August 20: We want to travel from Geneve to Zurich following the same way than the Golden Pass line (visiting Montreux, Interlaken, Lucerne, Zurich). Which would be the cheapest option to do it? Are there other (and cheaper) trains that cover that way? Is it possible to get a discount for Golden Pass Tickets?
    Is the Swiss Half Fare Card a good option for us?
    At the end of the day we have to return to Geneve because our hotel is there.
    August 21: We want to visit other cities near Geneve like Lausanne and Nyon. Once again, which would be the cheapest option to do it?

We are also exploring the possibility of renting a car. This would be cheaper than the train?

Please, help me! This is our first time in Switzerland!
    Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    19 August 2011 at 5:55:50 #833919

Hello Momi0701, and welcome! Your itinerary for August 20 isn’t realistic, I’m afraid. The Golden Pass line is quite a long route (an ongoing single trip Geneva-Lucerne takes about 6h30), and it would be too much to visit all the towns you mention along the way and to get back to Geneva the same evening. The timetable shows the exact traveling times between all towns, so that’ll help you decide if and where you can get out for a short visit.

There won’t be that much of a difference between the Swiss Half Fare Card or buying regular train tickets for your itinerary. In order to find out, you should calculate the exact costs. If there’s a chance you’ll be traveling a bit more than mentioned below, a Swiss Half Fare Card would be more economical. I wouldn’t rent a car if I were you: train traveling is comfortable and very scenic. I don’t think it’s cheaper than traveling by train either.

I hope this helps you out!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2011 at 6:28:25 #833920

Hello Annika thank you for your answer!
    I understand what you meant, it’s only that I really wanted to go to Lucerne! 🙁 Maybe next time!
    So I think I will visit Montreux-Laussane on Saturday and Nyon-Coppet on Sunday.
    It is more realistic, isn’t it?

Thanks a lot!

Annika
    7104 posts
    19 August 2011 at 6:38:15 #833921

Hi momi0701. Yes, that’s definitely more realistic. I understand that you want to make most out of your trip, but Geneva, the lake and its immediate surroundings are beautiful as well. You won’t get bored visiting Montreux, Lausanne and Nyon. Have a great time!

• The thread ‘Cheapest option to travel around Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.