CHF and Euros

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 May 2013 at 1:34:08 #805990

Hello friends – I hope Euros are acceptable currency in Switzerland. If you pay in Euros, do you get back change in Euros too or would that be in CHF?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    12 May 2013 at 6:24:21 #838664

Hello psatishmenon,

Normally spoken you will have to pay in Swiss Francs. Some shops do accept Euros, but will give you the change in CHF.

Have a nice trip,

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    12 May 2013 at 13:10:03 #838665

And those that will take Euros will give you a very unfavorable exchange rate.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2013 at 0:20:25 #838666

Thanks to all for the help in understanding this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2013 at 5:25:18 #838667

[quote]kim11 said: And those that will take Euros will give you a very unfavorable exchange rate.[/quote]

Given that the euro rate is pegged that’s not likely. Most businesses will convert at 1.2/0.8, there’s really no reason not to.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    13 May 2013 at 11:38:07 #838668

While that is certainly true, I have seen smaller businesses grudgingly accept Euros but only on a one-for-one basis (1 Euro = 1 CHF)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 May 2013 at 9:22:12 #838669

I think you’re getting confused about the rate. A couple of years ago the rate was nearly 1:1 and the euro was in freefall. People were reluctant to accept euros as there was no telling what they’d be worth by the time you got them to the bank. Obviously that wasn’t good, in fact it was so bad that people are still telling stories about it on the internet two years later. So the rate is pegged now and we’re quite happy to take euro’s at the official rate. We can’t do change in euros as no one is going to keep a float with coins in euros. In fact, like most people I’d rather take euros in cash than an american express card or similar which is one of several reasons why people are happy to accept euros.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    14 May 2013 at 11:12:03 #838670

Well, all I know is that last summer I saw with my own eyes staff at a mountain inn/restaurant only willing to do a 1:1 for Euros. It didn’t impress me that there was concern about the value of the Euro, just the hassle factor of needing to get to a bank to exchange the Euros for CHF. More difficult for folks that live in the mountains and don’t get to town very often.

For those that live or frequently visits towns with bank branches I agree for sure that Euros are better than a credit card with all the fees!

• The thread ‘CHF and Euros’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.