CHF exchange rate to GBP

• ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    11 August 2017 at 9:11:13 #812919

What is the GBP Pound Getting in Switzerland at the moment

Currently it’s between £1=CHF1.20 TO CHF1.23 Depending where you shop

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 9:37:19 #868185

Hi Chris,

We have a link here about the Swiss Franc currency. Currently the website we use shows the Swiss Franc at 1 GBP = 1.26 Swiss Franc

Lucas

ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    11 August 2017 at 15:54:18 #868186

Cheers Lucas just want to see what the difference is between what we can get in U.K compared to in Switzerland.

Thanks from Chris

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 August 2017 at 16:18:52 #868187

ah yes, I’m not sure what the banks and exchange companies are offering at the moment…it won’t be 1.26!

I usually find simply withdrawing money from an ATM is the best option.

Lucas

ChrisSass
    Participant
    24 posts
    11 August 2017 at 17:41:00 #868188

Best rate in U.K Toady £1 = CHF 1.237

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    11 August 2017 at 21:36:54 #868189

H Chris-

I tend to use ATM’s, because I have two credit cards – one is an AMEX, one from Chase bank — that give good rates, consistently only about 2.7% above bank rates of the amount. In their favor, of course.

Those same cards don’t charge a fee for overseas purchases. The days of 3USD fee for every transaction on US cards are essentially finished. That was bizarre, at times. For reasons that were not clear to me, if I put a tip (not needed, but sometimes I did it when the service was special) on a meal bill at the Zeughaus keller in Zürich…perhaps for 2 or 3 CHF, I’d find that Zeughauskeller separated the tip transaction from the meal transaction. My AMEX card would show two transactions, both at a reasonable exchange rate, but both with a 3USD fee. So, I sometimes paid a 3USD fee on a 2.50 USD transaction. I learned to tip in cash.

Rates at Swiss train station SBB exchanges are usually OK, and you can go to a Swiss Bank, as well. One or two on every corner in the big cities. (Just joking, but they are common.)At one time, all those rates were regulated and the same at every bank. Don’t know the rules today, but the banks use reasonable rates.

One thing I have learned, by being forced to change a small amount for pocket money before I left the USA for some country or another. That is- avoid Travelex . They charge consitently exorbitant rates, and i confirm that every time I chat with one of their staff at any of their booths in airports.

Although most places in Switzerland accept credit cards these days, that is a quite recent phenomenon, and some will only take cash. More common outside the major tourist ares, but sometimes I’m surprised. So, I carry some cash.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘CHF exchange rate to GBP’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.