Choice of hikes in Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2016 at 14:18:39 #809667

Hello everyone,

My husband and I will be based in Murren for five days next week. We would like to do easy hikes and are thinking about taking the following hikes while in the area. Are the following considered easy hikes? Can any be combined in a day? Would anyone have other easy hikes to recommend? Thanks so much for any comments and suggestions you might have:

1. Grutschalp-Winteregg-Murren
    2. Murren-Gimmelwald-Stechelberg
    3. Lauterbrunnen-Stechelberg
    4. Murren-Gimmelwald-Allmendhubel
    5. Allmendhubel-Blumental-Murren
    6. First to Bachalpsee and back
    7. Mannlichen-Kleine Scheidegg (would you continue from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen or is that more difficult?)

Thanks so much for any suggestions!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 July 2016 at 2:21:34 #854047

Hi SwisssAnn –

This map will help you judge the altitude changes:

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=inspire&X=162255 .00&Y=635815.00&zoom=6 &bgLayer=ch.swisstopo. pixelkarte-farbe&lang=en&layers=c h.swisstopo.swisstlm3d -wanderwege

Are your knees trained for downhill walking?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2016 at 2:59:24 #854048

Thanks! The map will be very helpful. We walk 2-3 miles everyday but have done a limited amount of downhill. Would it be helpful to use trekking poles.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 July 2016 at 5:33:57 #854049

Hi Swissann,

Hike number 2 is more than 700 m of descending. Not easy on the knees! Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen is an easy path (technically), but again 800 of descending. You can just do a section of it, e.g. walk to Wengernalp and take the train from there.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 July 2016 at 9:43:46 #854050

I always use one or two hiking staffs, trekking poles, or, in German “ein Spazierstock.” May two of them.

I also wear sturdy shoes or boots.

As Arno noted, watch those altitude changes, and remember that you may be at high enough altitude to find that you need to catch your breath if you hurry or climb to quickly.

Please look at the link I gave you for trail signs, and compare with the map. If the trail is “red” (that is a “mountain hiking trail, ein Bergwanderweg, you definitely should use a staff and boots or sturdy shoes with lugged soles.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 July 2016 at 15:18:09 #854051

Thanks for the helpful hints! Sounds like catching the train at Wengernalp might be a good idea.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 July 2016 at 15:22:06 #854052

check this link, too:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

And, the tabs at the top.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Choice of hikes in Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.