Choice of passes 5 nights in Murren

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 May 2016 at 21:29:49 #809146

Will be traveling – 2 people to Switzerland.

We will arrive at EuroAirport Basel-Mulhouse-Freiburg on July 8, 2016 and leaving from the same airport on July 13th,2016.

The plan is to stay in Murren the 5 nights. We want to go to Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch, Almenhubbel, Mannelichbahn and possibly take boat rides.

Thinking the Berner Oberland Pass would be best.

I would like to buy both the Berner Oberland Pass (6day) and train tickets to Bern at the airport. Is this possible? Additionally, can we buy our return train ticket for July 13th, Bern to Basel on the 8th of July or do we need to wait to we get closer to departing?

Perhaps we could buy return ticket at station in Murren? Would like to keep unnecessary wait time to a minimum on the 13th of July!

Am assuming credit cards can be used to purchase passes?

From doing research I have discovered the #50 bus takes us from the airport to the Basel Train Station – can we buy the bus ticket on board the bus? I have some Swiss francs from a previous trip.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    9 May 2016 at 12:48:17 #851751

Welcome to MySwissAlps Claire!

A 6 day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland makes sense indeed. It’s for sale at local railway stations, but I doubt whether it’s available at Basel. If you don’t want to get out in Bern along the way and if you want to reduce traveling times, you’d better buy your pass in advance through one of the resellers listed here.

Train tickets Basel-Bern and Bern-Basel can be bought at any railway station (including Mürren), either right before boarding or a couple of days in advance if that suits your plans better. Alternatively, you can order online tickets through the SBB mobile app. By the way, what’s your country of residence if I may ask? This may be relevant when it comes to purchase options for tickets and passes.

I’m not sure if you can buy your bus tickets to Basel SBB in the bus. You’ll find ticketing machines at the bus stops, and you can certainly get your tickets there. You may contact the local company BVB to make sure though.

An alternative to the Regional-Pass, that will be easier for your inbound and outbound trip, is the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi, allowing a free trip from Basel Airport to Mürren and back. Trips made from Mürren will be discounted by 50%.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2016 at 22:01:09 #851752

Thanks for the info! I am in the USA! I think we will buy tickets to Bern from the Basel train station to Bern and then get off the train, buy the pass and then board another train- the schedule shows the trains go about every 30 minutes! We can always have a coffee if possible while waiting! Thanks again!

• The thread ‘Choice of passes 5 nights in Murren’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.