Chur to Zermatt via St Moritz, Tirano, Lugano ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 January 2015 at 11:03:02 #806842

I am trying to work out a week or so on the trains traveling from Chur, St Moritz, Tirano, Lugano, Locarno then somehow to Zermatt. Then from Zermatt to Madrid.

1) I don’t seem to be able to work out the gap between Locarno and Zermatt.

2) What is the quickest way to Madrid from Zermatt? Is there a night train ?

3) Is the Eurail Select Pass appropriate ?

4) Which towns are the best for a nights stop over?

5) Am I trying to fit too much in 🙂

Regards from Oz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    30 January 2015 at 19:53:44 #841657

Hi Suzanne3825,

Thanks for joining MySwissAlps!

1) The scenic Centovalli railway from Locarno to Domodossola (Italy) is the way to go. From Domodossola you can take a train to Brig, Switzerland. Finally there’s the train from Brig to Zermatt. All of this is covered with a Eurail Select Pass (see the map).

2) That’s quite a long trip by train, about 14 hours I think. All trains are in the timetable. If it does not show any connections you may have to break it in two legs, e.g. Zermatt – Geneva and Geneva – Madrid, or Zermatt – Barcelona and Barcelona – Madrid. Tickets can be found through raileurope.com.au/trai n/france-spain-high-speed.

3) It is, although you may want to compare that option to a combination of a point to point ticket from Geneva to Madrid plus a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card. Here's how to compare.

4) That really depends on what your interests are and when you’re traveling.

5) It is a lot, but whether it’s too much depends on your goal for this trip. If it’s the traveling itself it’s perfectly fine. If you want to explore the towns and regions you’re passing through, it’s too little time. One can easily spend two weeks in St. Moritz only, for example. There’s a lot to see.

• The thread ‘Chur to Zermatt via St Moritz, Tirano, Lugano ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.