Clarification of start date Swiss Travel Pass Flex

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2016 at 5:05:48 #808613

Hi. I need clarification on the Swiss Travel Pass flex. Eg 8 day pass

If we put a start date of June 15 when we purchase our pass, but do not start to use it until June 19, is June 19 our first travel day?

Do we then nominate the remaining 7 travel days at this point, providing our travel dates are prior to July 14?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    14 March 2016 at 12:01:32 #849388

Hi janetford, thanks for joining us!

The start date indicates the date from which the one month validity starts. It doesn’t have to be your first free travel day. So between June 15 and July 14, you can still freely pick your 8 travel days by simply writing down the dates before you start traveling. It’s explained at our Swiss Travel Pass Flex page. Purchase options are listed in the Price section.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 March 2016 at 21:33:36 #849389

Hi Annika

Thanks for explaining the Swiss Travel Pass Flex details.

I thought this was how it worked, but when I asked the same question to Rail Europe (Aust) chat line I was told that something different. I would assume the pass is the same regardless of where it would be purchased. RailEurope.com.au would be more convenient for me as it is purchased in Aud currency.

We are also going to purchase the Half Fare Card (not Combi), to use in conjunction with the Swiss Travel Pass. Is there a listing of everything (specifically) that it covers?

Have a lovely day

Janet

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 March 2016 at 7:56:49 #849390

Hi Janet,

I am not sure which pass you intend to buy. You first mentioned the Swiss Travel Pass Flex, but now also the Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Travel Pass. Those are 3 different passes. Usually only one is sufficient. Please see the links for all details, including maps of what’s covered. You may also want to check this page to help you pick the most economical pass. The Swiss Travel Pass Flex is too expensive for most itineraries, but it may fit yours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 April 2016 at 23:01:59 #849391

Hello again, I have done my calculations and feel that the Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi (8day) pass would be best for us for our trip. Here is our itinerary at this stage…

Day 1 (June 22): Lake Como to Lucerne: train to Fluelen, then take a scenic boat to Lucerne. We will site see Lucerne for the rest of the day, and most of day 2. (travel pass day #1)

Day 2 (June 23): Lucerne to Grindelwald via train in the latter part of the afternoon. Settle into our accommodation at Grindelwald, which we will use as our base for the next few days. (travel pass day #2)

Day 3 (June 24): Grindelwald to Gadmen (return). Here we will go to the Thrift Bridge. (Do you know if the cable car to the Thrift Bridge is covered by our passes?) (travel pass day #3)

Day 4 (June 25): Grindelwald to Trummellbach Falls. We also plan on to site see other areas/towns in the area – time permitting. (travel pass day #4)

Day 5 (June 26): Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch. We will use the Half Fare Card for today.

Day 6 (June 27): Grindelwald to Brig via train, then do the 2nd class travel version of the Glacier Express (fully covered by our pass) finishing up in Chur. We will overnight in Chur, then spend the next morning site seeing in the city. (travel pass day #5)

Day 7 (June 28): Chur to Wasserauen (or somewhere close by). Site see in the area where we decide to stay overnight. (travel pass day #6)

Day 8 (June 29): Wasserauen to Burggasthaus Aescher, where we will stay the night. (travel pass day #7)

Day 9 (June 30): Burggasthaus Aescher back to Wasserauen, then travel onwards to Zurich. We will stay overnight, then catch our flight the next morning. (travel pass day #8)

Day 10 (July 1): Zurich to the Airport (extra cost)

I am happy for any advice/suggestions for trip improvements.

Lastly, With the Swiss Travel Pass Flex – do we nominate our travel days as we go throughout our trip (day by day), or do they all have to be chosen and nominated when we first use our pass at the start?

Janet.

Annika
    7121 posts
    2 April 2016 at 8:24:19 #849392

Hi Janet,

Good to hear you’ve been able to calculate which pass works best for you! While ordering your Swiss Travel Pass Flex Combi you’ll only have to select the start date. From that date onward, the maximum validity of 1 month starts. The 8 free travel days don’t have to be chosen while ordering. You can do so at the spot, by writing down the date before you start traveling that day. Please find explanation here. Purchase options are listed here (make sure to pick the Combi variant from the drop-down list at the right). I’d recommend either http://www.swissrailways.com/ en or http://www.raileurope.com.au/ pass/swiss-travel-pass-half-fare-card-7490.

I think your itinerary is fine. It does involve some long train transfers (I assume you used the timetable to check traveling times?), but if you’re fine with that, that’s perfect! As far as I can tell, the Trift cable car isn’t included in the Swiss Travel Pass Flexi Combi. Regular prices and further information can be found at the Grimselwelt website.

• The thread ‘Clarification of start date Swiss Travel Pass Flex’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.