Closures Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen mid/late October?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2016 at 3:32:04 #810425

Hi

We are in the very early stages of planning our trip. We have not booked flights yet, but for ease it looks like we will plan to be flying into Zurich around the 18th October, and flying from Geneva to Athens on the 28th. Planning on basing ourselves for 3-4 nights in both Lucerne and Lauterbrunnen, and another night or two near Geneva.

Haven’t done calculations on the spreadsheet yet, but I’m thinking we can combine the 8-day Swiss Pass with the Swiss transfer ticket.

What I am concerned about is just how many chair lifts, rail services etc will be out of action during our stay, given our main purpose is to view the scenery.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2016 at 9:39:01 #857337

Hello and Welcome,

The correct name of the pass is: Swiss Travel Pass

Indeed, in oktober not all the mountain trains and lifts are open, witch one do you like to visit ?

Then it is posible to look of it is open in oktober or not.

Greetings Brahms

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2016 at 3:24:53 #857338

I have been doing some research, and have come up with the following (extended) itinerary from 16 October. Zermatt is weather-dependant, and we will have the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass.

Zurich 1N

Locarno 2N (either Wilhelm Tell Express or Regional trains on same route)

Zermatt 2N via Domodossola

Murren 3N via Kandersteg

Lucerne 3N via Bern.

Montreux 3N (Golden Pass)

Geneva 1N for early flight.

We’re not ones to be rushing from place to place each day, and are trying to keep train travel down to about half a day, on most days.

Comments?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2016 at 8:44:22 #857339

This route is very good to do in october. Trains run on al this routes.

What are you plans in Zermatt, Murren, Lucerne and Montreux ? Witch mountaintrains or cablecars are you using ?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2016 at 11:37:37 #857340

We may not do it all, but these are on the list:

Zermatt – ride the Gornergrat Railway, check out what else is open

Murren – Jungfrau Railway, Schilthorn Cableway, explore the villages, do some hikes if open

Lucerne – Mt Rigi and Pilatus

Montreux – Roches-de-Naye train. Visit Gruyère, Bern.

Still coming to terms with what is available. There is a good selection of hotels available, and while I can I want to book rooms (those with free cancellation). I’m sure it will all change and that’s OK, some flexibility is good. Our airfares will be booked in the next few weeks so at least the dates will be locked in.

I’m sure I’ll be back with more questions later!

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 December 2016 at 12:26:30 #857341

Hi traveller66,

From the top of my head all of those trips should be possible. But it’s worth to check the timetable or the websites of these attractions as things tend to close for the season or for maintenance from mid October. You’ll find lots of additional details in the “What to do” section of the main menu.

• The thread ‘Closures Lucerne/Lauterbrunnen mid/late October?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.