Cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte is free ?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:01:47 #809237

Is cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte free with Swiss Travel Pass ?

on Swiss Travel Pass website, it clearly states that :

Insider tips about the Swiss Travel Pass

The Rigi cogwheel train is free;

The cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte is free;

The Swiss open-air museum in Ballenberg is free;

Entrance to La Maison du Gruyère (cheese factory) is free;

Entrance to Maison Cailler (chocolate factory) is free.

So, the cogwheel train up to Schynge Platte is free then. However, when i went to Jungfrau – Top of Europe Tourism, it doesn’t give me a choice to choose Swiss Travel Pass. Does anybody know how to do it for free with Swiss travel pass ?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:37:45 #852212

Welcome to MySwissAlps tkwan!

The Schynige Platte ride is indeed free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You can verify that on the map as well. You do not need tickets if you have a Swiss Travel Pass. That’s why they don’t list that option for ticket purchase.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:44:28 #852213

Thank you for the reply. so, should we just go ahead to go to the ticket counter in wilderswil to show them the Swiss Travel Pass or we can just hop on the cogwheel direct without even going to the ticket counter ? We have total of 16 people. Is there a way we can make a reservation on line so that we know we have the seat?

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 May 2016 at 9:11:32 #852214

Hi tkwan,

You can just board the train and show the pass when requested. I don’t know of a way to book seats. If you can, don’t go when all the groups go (usually from late morning), but go up early. Only in case of free cable cars (there are a few), you may need to go to the ticket office first to get free tickets in order to pass the electronic gates.

Be sure to buy your Swiss Travel Passes online so you can print them at home. That way you’ll be ready to board any train straight away. Buying in Switzerland will be very time consuming with 16 people. You can go to the web shop at http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of that list. They will e-mail the passes within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees) so you can print them at home.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    18 May 2016 at 23:44:33 #852215

<<” However, when i went to Jungfrau – Top of Europe Tourism, it doesn’t give me a choice to choose Swiss Travel Pass. Does anybody know how to do it for free with Swiss travel pass ?”>

It cannot be done. There is a modest discount with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 5:43:59 #852216

Hi Slowpoke,

It is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. No tickets required.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 7:48:32 #852217

It is so confusing. I just email to JUNGFRAU RAILWAYS and their reply is ” you get 50% discount if you have Swiss Travel Pass.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 7:58:22 #852218

Well, they’re wrong. That’s probably because the Schynige Platte railway is only free as of this year for Swiss Travel Pass holders. Not all their staff may know about it. You can refer them to the map: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validi ty. Don’t worry, it’s free.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    19 May 2016 at 8:08:50 #852219

Hi Arno-

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

i have learned and should remember tolet you handle all questions about rail passes.

I thought there was a modest discount from Wengen to Jungfraujoch. Live and learn.

Slowpoke.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 May 2016 at 8:25:34 #852220

Tks Amo. I did reply them to refer to the map and i just received

their email few minutes ago confirming it is free with Swiss Travel pass.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 8:57:50 #852221

Feel free to join the discussions about passes too, however it is indeed quite complex and things change every now and then. Even for us it’s not always easy to stay on top of things, but we do our best to keep all our rail pass pages up to date.

Wengen to Jungfraujoch is indeed 25% off, but the discussion here is about the Schynige Platte train, which is free. Most other mountain transport is 50% off. The map shows all the details.

Arno
    15483 posts
    19 May 2016 at 8:59:32 #852222

Glad to hear that! It’s a wonderful ride. Enjoy it!

• The thread ‘Cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte is free ?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.