Cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte is free ?

Cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte is free ?

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
tkwan
tkwan
4 posts
May 18, 2016 - 8:01 AM

Is cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte free with Swiss Travel Pass ?

on Swiss Travel Pass website, it clearly states that :

Insider tips about the Swiss Travel Pass

The Rigi cogwheel train is free;

The cogwheel train up to Schynige Platte is free;

The Swiss open-air museum in Ballenberg is free;

Entrance to La Maison du Gruyère (cheese factory) is free;

Entrance to Maison Cailler (chocolate factory) is free.

So, the cogwheel train up to Schynge Platte is free then. However, when i went to Jungfrau - Top of Europe Tourism, it doesn't give me a choice to choose Swiss Travel Pass. Does anybody know how to do it for free with Swiss travel pass ?

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 18, 2016 - 8:37 AM

Welcome to MySwissAlps tkwan!

The Schynige Platte ride is indeed free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You can verify that on the map as well. You do not need tickets if you have a Swiss Travel Pass. That's why they don't list that option for ticket purchase.

Last modified on Sep 7, 2016 - 5:39 PM by Arno
tkwan
tkwan
4 posts
May 18, 2016 - 8:44 AM in reply to Arno

Thank you for the reply. so, should we just go ahead to go to the ticket counter in wilderswil to show them the Swiss Travel Pass or we can just hop on the cogwheel direct without even going to the ticket counter ? We have total of 16 people. Is there a way we can make a reservation on line so that we know we have the seat?

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 18, 2016 - 9:11 AM

Hi tkwan,

You can just board the train and show the pass when requested. I don't know of a way to book seats. If you can, don't go when all the groups go (usually from late morning), but go up early. Only in case of free cable cars (there are a few), you may need to go to the ticket office first to get free tickets in order to pass the electronic gates.

Be sure to buy your Swiss Travel Passes online so you can print them at home. That way you'll be ready to board any train straight away. Buying in Switzerland will be very time consuming with 16 people. You can go to the web shop at www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick "Online Ticket" from the bottom of that list. They will e-mail the passes within 1-3 business days (no delivery fees) so you can print them at home.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2655 posts
expert
May 18, 2016 - 11:44 PM in reply to tkwan

<<" However, when i went to Jungfrau - Top of Europe Tourism, it doesn't give me a choice to choose Swiss Travel Pass. Does anybody know how to do it for free with Swiss travel pass ?">

It cannot be done. There is a modest discount with the Swiss Travel Pass.

Slowpoke

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 19, 2016 - 5:43 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Hi Slowpoke,

It is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. No tickets required.

tkwan
tkwan
4 posts
May 19, 2016 - 7:48 AM in reply to Arno

It is so confusing. I just email to JUNGFRAU RAILWAYS and their reply is " you get 50% discount if you have Swiss Travel Pass.

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 19, 2016 - 7:58 AM in reply to tkwan

Well, they're wrong. That's probably because the Schynige Platte railway is only free as of this year for Swiss Travel Pass holders. Not all their staff may know about it. You can refer them to the map: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/validi ty. Don't worry, it's free.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
2655 posts
expert
May 19, 2016 - 8:08 AM in reply to Arno

Hi Arno-

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

i have learned and should remember tolet you handle all questions about rail passes.

I thought there was a modest discount from Wengen to Jungfraujoch. Live and learn.

Slowpoke.

tkwan
tkwan
4 posts
May 19, 2016 - 8:25 AM in reply to Arno

Tks Amo. I did reply them to refer to the map and i just received

their email few minutes ago confirming it is free with Swiss Travel pass.

Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 19, 2016 - 8:57 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Feel free to join the discussions about passes too, however it is indeed quite complex and things change every now and then. Even for us it's not always easy to stay on top of things, but we do our best to keep all our rail pass pages up to date.

Wengen to Jungfraujoch is indeed 25% off, but the discussion here is about the Schynige Platte train, which is free. Most other mountain transport is 50% off. The map shows all the details.

Last modified on May 19, 2016 - 4:07 PM by Arno
Arno
Arno
7718 posts
expert &
May 19, 2016 - 8:59 AM in reply to tkwan

Glad to hear that! It's a wonderful ride. Enjoy it!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016