Cold weather in Bernese Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2013 at 10:10:29 #806148

I’m going with a group of 9 women (moms and daughters) to the Bernese Oberland to hike from village to village in early September 2013. It has been cold and even snowing at times and the projection looks like more of the same. Can anyone suggest another warmer region of Switzerland we might change to if the weather continues this way. Ticino? Wallis? Any itineraries for a one week hike from village to village in a warmer area? Thanks for any help you might give us!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    20 August 2013 at 13:11:22 #839170

What weather reports are you looking at? It is near 70 degrees F every day in Wengen which sits at about 5,000 feet.
    The first 2 weeks of September is typically the most glorious time of year weather-wise in the Bernese Oberland.

ashmc
    Participant
    11 posts
    20 August 2013 at 14:08:03 #839171

I am betting the poster is looking at weather.com. I have been checking the weather (just to get an idea for packing) for Murren and I think they pull their temps from higher than Murren. I have seen the cold temps, as well. Likewise, I have found other sites who use Interlaken/Lauterbrunnen as the weather for Murren, making the forecast look much warmer than it should. This may not be exactly what is happening, but I have seen a wide variety of forecasts and they certainly have to be for somewhere else…even though Murren is what I am typing in each time. Oh well!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2013 at 16:52:36 #839172

Thanks for your responses. They led me to look up weather reports in Wengen and Grindelwald-both in the high 60’s 70 with more of the same in the forecast! I don’t know why Murren is so off, but I’m going with the good forecasts. we hiked in the region at the same time of the year in 2011 and it was spectacular! I’m hoping for the same.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    20 August 2013 at 18:27:57 #839173

Yes, many of the generic weather sites use Kleine Scheidegg weather (or even Jungfraujoch, heaven forbid) for Wengen and the Schilthorn for Mürren. Very misleading.

I have found http://meteo.search.ch/lauterbrunnen to be the most reliable. They provide a 5 day forecast, anything longer than that is very unreliable. For Mürren and Wengen you can subtract a couple of degrees and get a pretty good outlook.

• The thread ‘Cold weather in Bernese Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.