Combination of Eurail and Swiss rail passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 4:50:52 #811596

My wife and I are planning our tour of France, Switzerland and Italy. For travelling in France and Italy, and between France and Switzerland and Switzerland and Italy, we planning to buy Eurail 8 days in 2 months saver pass. But in Switzerland we will be staying off Interlaken (Gsteigwiler) for 5 days and extensively using local transport, for going around. Now, Swiss Rail pass is available for 4 days or 8 days. What is the most economical way to take care of our travel needs on the fifth day?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    29 April 2017 at 8:08:37 #862444

Welcome to MySwissAlps Deepak0703!

The 4-day Swiss Travel Pass will work if you have planned limited traveling on your first or last day in the area. Your hotel in Gsteigwiler will give you a free Visitors Card. It includes free access to the local buses and trains to Interlaken, so you still have some options. You can pay for additional tickets to travel outside of that area. Another option is the 6-day Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland so you are fully covered for a large region during your entire stay.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 April 2017 at 11:28:14 #862445

I really admire the speed and quality of your replies. Simply amazing! Thanks a lot, Arno!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 4:16:14 #862446

Situation: Similar question. We are doing a 16 day trip (Italy – Switzerland – ending in France) and I’m learning about the trains/passes also. I’m looking at purchasing the 15 consecutive day Eurail Global Pass, but during our 4 days in Switzerland I am confused what all is covered with the Global Eurail Pass. The only area I plan to visit in Switzerland is the Jungfrau region (hopping on trains/cable cars around the region and possibly back up to Interlaken).

Question: would the Global Eurail Pass only cover us from Italy to Interlaken? Just need to know if I need to purchase a seperate 4-day Swiss Travel Pass on top of the Eurail Pass or if the Eurail Pass will get us on the more local transportation to the Jungfrau region?

Thank you!!

Lisa

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 8:27:59 #862447

Hi Lisa,

You can see what routes are covered on the Eurail Global Pass here (with map). It offers just discounted trip on most routes in the Jungfrau region. You don’t need to, but may indeed be better off buying a Jungfrau Travel Pass for that area. See details on what is covered by the Jungfrau Travel Pass here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2017 at 16:46:25 #862448

Thanks!

Last question. If we purchase the Jungfrau Travel Pass, and we already have the Eurail Global Pass how do we get a discount when ordering?

Do we have to purchase at the station or can I do it online and still get the discount?

Lisa

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 April 2017 at 19:53:10 #862449

Hi Lisa,

There is only a discount if you have a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card (see myswissalps.com/jungfr autravelpass/price please).

• The thread ‘Combination of Eurail and Swiss rail passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.