Combining Bernese Oberland Pass & 1/2 Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2015 at 11:30:28 #807130

I am considering buying a Half Fare Card to cover my 2 weeks in Switzerland but also buying a 6 day Bernese Oberland Regional Pass for the 6 days I’ll be in that region. For the Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch train and the Stechelberg to Schiltorn cable car that receive a 50% reduction with the Bernese Oberland Regional Pass, could you please tell me would I get an additional 50% reduction with the Half Fare Card ie. total 75% reduction?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2015 at 21:44:02 #842694

Could you also please tell me how much the Golden Pass Panoramic train (1st class ticket) Montreux to Interlaken Ost costs with no pass, with Bernese Oberland Regional Pass, with Half Fare Pass and with both Bernese Oberland and Half Fare passes. I can’t seem to find any of those costs on the website.

Annika
    7124 posts
    27 April 2015 at 7:03:51 #842695

Hello sueoz, and welcome to the MySwissAlps forum!

It’s not possible to combine pass discounts. You’ll have to buy Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn tickets using only one of your rail passes. If you use the Swiss Half Fare Card, you will get a 50% discount on the entire trip. With the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland, you’d travel for free as far as Kleine Scheidegg and Mürren, and get a 50% discount on the remaining legs, so that would be the best pass to use. By the way, it’s worth to calculate carefully whether you need two different rail passes. In many cases that’s not the most economical solution, but it all depends on the specifics of your itinerary. Here‘s how to find out which (pass)es are the best choice for your itinerary.

In order to find out prices with pass discounts, you’ll first have to find regular non-discounted fares. You can do so by entering your trip in the timetable (enter Gstaad or Zweisimmen as your via station to make sure the timetable provides Golden Pass connections) and by clicking ‘Fare/buy’. Next, download the validity map of the passes you’re interested in and check which discount they provide for this route (I’ve already provided the links to both validity overviews above). For example, you’ll find that the Swiss Half Fare Card grants a 50% discount on the entire route. Does this help you out?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2015 at 22:50:03 #842696

Thanks Annika that’s great. I’ll look at my itinerary again with that info and see if it’s better getting one or both passes.

• The thread ‘Combining Bernese Oberland Pass & 1/2 Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.