Combining passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2011 at 9:44:26 #804429

I plan to arrive in Zurich with my wife in the evening of June 29, go to the Rheinfall until early afternoon, then go to Maloja (near St Moritz until July 7 when I return to Zurich. I am thinking of buying a round trip ticket from Zurich to Chur, add a Zurich day pass and buy a Graubunden seven day pass (two for 1). Is that the cheapest way to pay for the trips I describe? Are any of the cable cars in my destination covered by the 7 day pass?
    Thank you,
    Dovid

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    5 June 2011 at 2:57:09 #833289

Hi Dovid,

This sounds like a good combination to me. The validity of the graubündenPASS starts in Bad Ragaz already, so you can get regular tickets from Zurich to that station and enjoy free or discounted traveling from there. Cable cars are not included in the graubündenPASS (except for 1 or 2). Please check the map we link to the graubündenPASS-page. If you want to use multiple cable cars, a Swiss Half Fare Card could be a better option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2011 at 7:16:05 #833290

Thank you. Now two questions on your answer if I may. If my wife and I plan to use a cable car in Korvatch and one other mountain (can you suggest one in the area) are we still better off with the Graubunden pass? Also, can we get the Bernina express in Bad Raguz, or do we have to buy a ticket to CHur and only pay to Bad Raguz?
    Thank you

Arno
    15471 posts
    6 June 2011 at 15:53:32 #833291

Hi Dovid,

That’s quite hard to answer as it depends on your other plans. If you do a lot of train traveling, the free travel days of the graubündenPASS may still cause it to be the cheapest option. Otherwise, the Swiss Half Fare Card would be better. You can calculate this exactly if you want.

As for which summits to visit: I suppose you mean the Corvatsch? It is beautiful. I also like Diavolezza very much, although it’s a bit similar to the Corvatsch. Instead, you may want to consider to take the funicular up to Muottas Muragl, walk to Alp Languard and take the chairlift down to Pontresina.

The Bernina Express starts in either Chur or Davos. You can’t board it in Bad Ragaz. Bad Ragaz is just a station where the validity of your graubündenPASS starts, should you choose to purchase it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 June 2011 at 5:19:15 #833292

[quote]Arno said: Hi Dovid,

That’s quite hard to answer as it depends on your other plans. If you do a lot of train traveling, the free travel days of the graubündenPASS may still cause it to be the cheapest option. Otherwise, the Swiss Half Fare Card would be better. You can calculate this exactly if you want.

As for which summits to visit: I suppose you mean the Corvatsch? It is beautiful. I also like Diavolezza very much, although it’s a bit similar to the Corvatsch. Instead, you may want to consider to take the funicular up to Muottas Muragl, walk to Alp Languard and take the chairlift down to Pontresina.

The Bernina Express starts in either Chur or Davos. You can’t board it in Bad Ragaz. Bad Ragaz is just a station where the validity of your graubündenPASS starts, should you choose to purchase it.[/quote]

Thanks, that Muottas Muragl walk sounds perfect. I think I finally got straight what needs to be clarified. I expect to take alot of buses (and at least one boat) in the Graubunden area. I think I may have seen reports of the graubündenPASS from different periods, some of which sound like the other four days of the pass are half price and others which sound like only the three days give free transportation but nothing else. In the former case, I would go with the graubündenPASS, whereas in the latter case I would go with the half fare card. Can you clarify the situation at present please?

Arno
    15471 posts
    7 June 2011 at 13:10:28 #833293

Hi Dovid,

The graubündenPASS used to offer a combination of discounted and free traveling, but that has changed a few years ago. Our page is up to date so you can best check that out. In you case, it sound like the Swiss Half Fare Card would be the better option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2011 at 7:03:47 #833294

Thank you. I now see that there is also a 1 zone graubunden pass for 3/7 days. Assuming that we expect to take several Engadine buses almost each day of our seven day stay, expect to start and end in Zurich, plan one day based around the Bernina Express, one day based around Corvatch, one day based around Muottas Muragl-Alp Languard, and the rest locally in Engadine (including one day of pure walking), it would seem that the best value would be a two for one 3/7 Graubunden Pass (starting in the first day and ending the last day in Bad Raguz on the way to and from Zurich), plus two 1 zone passes for the other three days in the Engadine. Do you agree? What combination of circumstances would make a Swiss half-fare card a better option?
    Dovid

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 June 2011 at 7:26:05 #833295

Hi Dovid,

If you want free traveling on (nearly) all days, that would indeed be an option, although I don’t think the 1-zone version is cheaper than the currently half priced full version (the 1-zone version is not for sale online). The Swiss Half Fare Card quickly becomes cost effective when traveling in more than one region, or when you’re using mountain transportation. Although in the Engadine, only a few cable cars are included: Corvatsch, Furtschellas and Motta Naluns (in Scuol).

Please note that we’re talking about the 7 day pass here. Your trips from Bad Ragaz to Engadine and back should fall within 7 days if you want to do them on one pass.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 June 2011 at 16:56:13 #833296

Hi Dovid,

Sorry I didn’t notice before, but I now see you’ll be traveling in July as well. The 2-for-1 offer (details here) is only for traveling in June, September and October. You can, of course, still use the pass for the regular price, but I guess the Swiss Half Fare Card would be the better option.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2011 at 14:16:44 #833297

My trip to (and in) the Graubunden region begins on June 30. The page on your site describing the 2 for 1 deal (http://www.myswissalps.com/en/forum/topic863-buy-1-swiss-regional-pass-and-get-1-for-free.aspx) says: “This is how to order this promotion: click one the links above (depending on your country of residence). In the window that opens, order one (1) regional pass and enter a start date between June 1 and June 30, 2011 or between September 1 and October 31, 2011. Fill out the other fields as well. You will then be asked whether the offer should be applied to your purchase. If you choose to do so, you’ll receive one extra regional pass with the same start date, at no cost.”
    My “start date” is indeed within the special period. It can’t possibly be that the seven day pass is only good for June 30! Am I not correct in understanding that once it is purchased — and used — on a valid day it can be used until the seven days are up?

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 June 2011 at 15:06:13 #833298

Hi Dovid,

I see your point, but the page also says that the promoted passes can be used until June 30 or from September 1. The order page of Switzerland Travel Centre states that as well. So my understanding of their offer is that it is for traveling up until June 30, but you can contact them to be sure.

Anyway, the Swiss Half Fare Card is probably the better option for multiple reasons: it’s not limited to 7 days, it includes some cable cars and the trip to the Rhinefall as well. You probably don’t even need a Zurich day pass then.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2011 at 15:22:33 #833299

The Swiss Travel Center notified me by email that as long as my trip begins by June 30, I am indeed entitled to the 2 for one pass. According to my calculations (leaving out unknowns like boats and which cable cars would be covered) the Graubunden pass combined with a 3 day one zone pass comes out considerably cheaper than a half price ticket — which costs almost as much as the combined passes. Thanks so much for all your input!

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 June 2011 at 16:59:09 #833300

Thanks for the update Dovid! Enjoy your stay in beautiful Graubünden!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2011 at 3:35:53 #833301

You haven’t heard the end of me yet! I am working on my trip back from St. Moritz to Zurich. I have a supersaver ticket from Bad Ragaz to Zurich leaving Bad Ragaz at 1:32 PM. Is it cutting it too close to take a train scheduled to arrive at Bad Ragaz (with my Graubunden pass) at 1:31 PM? Should I take the train that arrives at 12:31 PM to be safe? (To Bad Ragaz I travel RE, IR and the train in Bad Ragaz is EC). Thank you.

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 June 2011 at 4:47:42 #833302

Hi Dovid,

A guideline is if the timetable offers the connection, it should be possible. But are you sure you need to switch trains in this case? There is a train leaving Chur at 1:16 PM that goes straight to Zurich and stops in Bad Ragaz at the time you specified. If that’s the connection you intend to take, you can just stay seated.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2011 at 5:29:29 #833303

thanks!

• The thread ‘Combining passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.