Comments/Suggestions on 8day Travel Plan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2012 at 21:15:02 #805578

Hi,

Would be great to get your comments and suggestions on the travel plan. Also, I am thinking a Swiss Half Fare Card would suit my needs best.. Please advise on this as I know you all have lots of experience with the region. Also, Does a Swiss Half Fare Card apply to the local transit in Zurich as well?

Arriving at Zurich from Prague at 7:30am.
    Day1: Picking up a car at Hertz (have some points), driving to Geneva. Visiting Berne/Lausanne or other small towns on the way. Arriving at night, dropping off car at Geneva Airport.
    Any suggestion for stops along this route would be great!!!

Day2: Sight seeing in Geneva. (Debating on staying night in Geneva or taking train to Montreaux and staying there)

Day3: Taking Golden Pass Express to Interlaken/Lucerne. A trip to Jungfrau on the way

Day4: Touring Lucerne and around. Going to Zurich at night. Staying in Zurich for 5nights (Got hotel deal with points).

Day5, 6, 7, 8: I guess a couple of days for Zurich. And looking for some ideas for day trips for the other two days (I guess involving train journeys, or I can rent a car for another two days with points) from Zurich.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    29 August 2012 at 14:34:57 #837059

Hi harry131! Your trip from Zurich to Geneva can easily be made by train; it’s very comfortable. The timetable mentions all possible connections. As for your rail pass: based on this plan, a Swiss Half Fare Card could be good indeed (yes, that’s also valid in Zurich; this is displayed at the validity map you can download from the Swiss Half Fare Card page I just linked to). But it depends on whether you’ll make the trip Zurich-Geneva by train and what your plans are for the last few days in/from Zurich. If quite some traveling is involved, you may consider a Swiss Flexi Pass instead. I don’t know when you’ll be traveling and if you’ll be with someone else, but you can see whether you’re eligible for the 2 for 1 deal on the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass.

Some further ideas: only make the trip to the Jungfraujoch is weather is still good. If not, it’s a waste of your money. There’s a lot to see and do in Zurich (consider the Swiss national museum, the lake, the old town, botanical gardens, viewing point Uetliberg and so on), but making a few trips out of town would be nice too. The Rhine falls can be visited from Zurich. Extra day trips to the scenic Lucerne and Interlaken regions would be great too.

In case you still need to book some hotels, these overviews for Geneva Airport, Geneva, Interlaken and Lucerne may be convenient.

• The thread ‘Comments/Suggestions on 8day Travel Plan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.