Companion ticket – available with Swiss Half Fare?

• Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    4 May 2017 at 7:52:12 #811676

Hi. My SBB app gives me the option to buy a companion ticket. But the information provided refers only to the Half Fare Travelcard, not the Swiss Half Fare Card for tourists. Do you know if we tourists are able to buy a companion ticket? Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    4 May 2017 at 10:17:53 #862781

Hi Minnie!

I’m not sure. The SBB website states that not only a residents’ Half-Fare Travelcard is required, but also an additional 1-day travelpass or another supplement. The 1-day travelpass is also available to holders of the tourist Swiss Half Fare Card, so this may be a reason to assume that the companion ticket can also be bought by tourists. I haven’t heard of this before though and if I were you I’d contact the SBB to make sure.

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    4 May 2017 at 23:56:29 #862782

Thanks Annika. I’ve sent my query to SBB and if I get an answer I will post it here. Cheers, Minnie.

Minnie
    Participant
    35 posts
    5 May 2017 at 22:18:33 #862783

Greetings everyone! I have received a reply from SBB to my query re the companion ticket, quoted below, which shows that Annika’s interpretation was correct:

You need at least a Swiss Half Fare Card and a 1-day travel pass, then your companion can travel for CHF 38.00 with you.

More informations see: http://www.sbb.ch/en/travelca rds-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/1-day-travelpass/companion-ticket.html

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 May 2017 at 9:21:33 #862784

Hi Minnie,

Thanks so much for getting back to us! Good to know the rules on this. So the tourist Swiss Half Fare Card plus the 1-day travelpass will do as well. In that case it can be a good deal for sure. If more days of intensive traveling are involved, a Swiss Travel Pass usually is the better choice.

• The thread ‘Companion ticket – available with Swiss Half Fare?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.