Comparing Swiss travel & Half price pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2015 at 10:04:21 #807423

Hello again, I’m getting a little confused and would appreciate if can help clarify some points please.

I assumed if you purchase the 8 day travel pass this allows you to travel on all trains, boats for free and without having to purchase tickets. Is this not correct?

My itinerary is 1 night in Zurich, 2 nights Lucerne, 2 nights Interlaken and 2 nights Lugano. When in Lucerne would like to do Mt. Tiflis, in Interlaken the Jungfrau and not quite sure in Lugano yet. Do I have to reserve separately for these trips? Are they covered by the 8 day travel pass? Do we pay extra for reservations?

I also tried finding out the full fares from the ‘timetable’ link provided under trains but it only seems to allow until July. We are travelling in August is there any other way to find out fares. I’m still trying to figure out whether the Swiss travel pass is going to work out cheaper or the half price pass. We are 1 adult, 1 child 16 and other child 13.

Any help trying to sort this confusion would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    20 June 2015 at 13:13:13 #843875

Hi Benni,

Yes, your assumption is correct. You only need tickets for cable cars, funiculars and cogwheel trains into the mountains. These tickets are discounted. Please see here for details: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

You don’t need reservations. Please see this page: myswissalps.com/ train/reservations. If you choose to book seats anyway (if possible for the train you pick), that needs to be paid for separately.

The fares in the timetable are valid for a whole year. It does not matter which date you fill out. For a full explanation on how to compare passes you can visit myswissalps.com/ train/ticketspasses/ practical/chooserailpa ss.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2015 at 19:18:36 #843876

Hi Arno

Im closer to finalizing my trip. Hotels are at least booked. However still confused over rail passes and cheapest option. The 8 day travel pass will cost about €600 for my 16 year old and I and as long as I get the free family card at the same time my 13 year old will travel free. (I think I’ve got this right so far).

If I get the half price fare option then this will cost me total of €240 also combined with the free family card for free travel for my 13 year old. To this I will have to add the half price fares for each train journey.

However where I’m truly stuck is trains up the Jungfrau and mt. titlis. I am not sure will my 13 year old get free travel up these mountains. I read that I would have to get a junior travel card and no real mention of the family card.

Please can you shed some light on this as I think I really need to start booking as trip is in August – peak time!

Thanks again for the help. Really appreciate.

Benni

Arno
    15483 posts
    30 June 2015 at 14:01:09 #843877

Hi Benni,

The price is GBP 250 for you and GBP 213 for your 16 year old, so that’s GBP 463 (about € 650). I am assuming you’re from the UK so I quoted prices from http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk. You can pay in GBP and print the passes at home so there’s no shipping fee.

Two Swiss Half Fare Cards cost GBP 164 (€ 240).

The Swiss Family Card for the 13 year old applies to both above options. It allows traveling along for free everywhere where the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card is valid (either free or discounted). So the 13 year old travels for free to Jungfraujoch and Mount Titlis.

• The thread ‘Comparing Swiss travel & Half price pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.