Confirm Jungfrau and BO Regional Pass inclusions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2017 at 10:59:09 #810897

Our family of 3 will be staying in Wengen August 14-20. We are interested in primarily doing daily hikes in the Jungfrau region only and taking a few side trips (e.g. to Lauterbrunnen to see the Staubach and other waterfalls, up to Jungfraujoch and to the Schilthorn, boat rides on one of the nearby lakes). We will be taking a train from Zurich Airport to Wenger on the 14th and need to return by train on the 20th, too.

I wanted to confirm a few things and ask about a couple others:

1. Does the 5-day Jungfrau Travel Pass include free passage on all the cable cars, chair lifts, cog wheel trains, funniculars, trains, boats and buses in the Jungfrau region (other than the exceptions listed under that pass on your website that show discounts of 50% to Jungfraujoch, for example, or exclusions such as Murren to Schilthorn)? I can’t seem to get the link to the validity map to show. It says “Problem Loading Page.”

2. If we buy a Swiss Half Fare Card, can it be used to purchase other passes at a discount, such as the Swiss Transfer Ticket or Jungfrau Travel Pass or OB Regional Pass, or can it be used only for point to point purchases?

3. We were thinking the 5-day Jungfrau Travel Pass would be best for us? If we get this one, you don’t have to purchase tickets, you just jump on and off trains, cable cars, boats, etc. that are included, correct? Does it cover all the main forms of transport (rail, cable car, etc.) to and from hiking trails from Murren, Wengen, Grindelwald, etc? Again, for some strange reason, I can’t download the validity map…

4. Given that I can’t find prices on many train routes because it is too long before our arrival in Switzerland, and knowing what we want to primarily do and where, what pass – the Jungfrau Travel Pass, OB Regional Pass, or Swiss Half Fare card – is best for us do you think? Part of the problem with the OB pass is that it covers 4 or 6 days and I would really need 5 or 7 to take full advantage of it for hiking and transfers to and from the airport (well, the portion to and from Bern, anyway). Are there any other pass combinations that might work out better (e.g. BO Regional card for 4 days and then a half fare card for that 5th day and the trips to and from Wengen to ZRH )?

Thanks for your help!

Jodi

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    25 February 2017 at 11:45:06 #859333

Hello Jodi, thank you for joining MySwissAlps!

1. Sorry to hear you can’t download the map from myswissalps.com/jungfr autravelpass/validity. It works fine for me so I expect it to be a problem in your browser. You can try a different browser. Also you can try to right click the download link and save the document to your computer before viewing it. I also attached it to this post.

2. The Swiss Half Fare Card gets you a 50% discount on point to point tickets, and a discount (less than 50%) on some passes (not on the Swiss Transfer Ticket). Please see the Swiss Half Fare Card page and the various pass pages for details.

3. Please see 1, and also myswissalps.com/jungfr autravelpass/howtouse.

4. The Jungfrau Travel Pass makes sense, although you can’t be sure you can actually do everything you have planned due to the weather. A Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland allows more flexibility, e.g. a day trip to Bern or Lucerne in case of bad weather. How to compare passes is explained on this page. Prices can be found by entering the date of tomorrow in the timetable. Prices will be the same in August.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 February 2017 at 20:43:35 #859334

Thank you Arno. I think it makes sense for us to revise our stay to be 6 days (5 nights) so that we can take advantage of the 6-day Regional B.O. Pass to and from Wengen and Bern for that part of the airport transfers (then we just pay the Zurich to Bern portion there and back) and have a farther reach for travel in case of bad weather. Do you think that sounds like the best and most cost-efficient option for us?

I’m still having difficulties opening the validity maps, even in a new browser. Could you please attach the one of the Regional B.O. pass, too?

I appreciate all your help and advice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 11:06:38 #859335

Hi JodiMac,

I think your idea is the best option for sure.
    Here is a direct link to the map.

All the best!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 19:28:56 #859336

Thanks so much, Lucas.

Could you please attach the document to your next reply. Different browser, same problem. Page won’t load.

Jodi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 19:48:20 #859337

Hi JodiMac,

Unfortunately, the map for the B.O region is too big to attach here. It is strange you are having these issues. Is it possible for you to try on another computer? Work or a friends?

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    26 February 2017 at 20:46:40 #859338

Hi Jodi,

I just e-mailed the document to you. Note that delivery is not guaranteed as it’s a big document and e-mail has its limits depending on the provider settings on both ends. Be sure to check your spam folder too if you can’t find it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2017 at 21:03:24 #859339

Got it, thanks!!

• The thread ‘Confirm Jungfrau and BO Regional Pass inclusions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.