Confused about rail passes

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 August 2014 at 14:53:15 #806555

My husband and I will be in Switzerland for ten days next month. I am having a difficult time figuring out which rail pass makes the most sense. We will be traveling from Zurich airport to Ascona, on to Grindelwald, then Gstaad and back to Zurich. Round trip about $379 each by train. While in each location we will hike and do day trips. Does a Swiss Card make the most sense?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    3 August 2014 at 18:02:38 #840781

Hi Janice,

In this case, you would save a little bit more with a Swiss Half Fare Card than with a Swiss Card. However, you’d better also consider a 4-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass: it’s $327 per person and includes all your 4 longer transfers for free (and detours or extra trips on those days too, if you like). You will get discounted traveling on the other days. And you will get an additional $50 off your order thanks to this promotion!

I hope this helps. The whole process of selecting a pass is explained here.

• The thread ‘Confused about rail passes’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.