Confused about Swiss Card and Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2011 at 10:04:07 #804133

Good morning. My husband and I will be visting Switzerland in late May. We will arrive in Zurich and plan to take the train to Interlaken where we will stay until May 31 when we return to Zurich by train. While in Interlaken we will have a small car. However, we would love to take the boats on Lake Thun and Lake Brienz as well as the small local trains to Lauterbrunnen/Muerren/Kleine Scheidegg/Jungfrau, Piz Gloria, the goldala from Muerren down to the Lauterbrunnen valley floor (we drive to Lauterbrunnen and then hike up the mountain and ride down). We are planning to take a train up from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg and then hike back down to Lauterbrunnen – or to Wengen and then the rest of the way by train, depending on how tired we are! We will also need to get from the Zurich airport and back again by train. Can anyone advise me as to the best option at the lowest price? I am leaning to the Swiss Card because of the free round-trip from and to the airport. I am also unsure as to whether the Swiss Card and the Swiss Half Fare Card will be valid on the boats in Interlaken and also on the small regional trains mentioned above as well as the Junfraujoch and Piz Gloria. Thanks for any help, advice and information!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    22 February 2011 at 12:04:22 #832217

Hello amlanier, welcome to the forum! The Swiss Card and Swiss Half Fare Card offer the exact same discounts. The only difference is the included round trip for the Swiss Card, as you already mentioned. There’s virtually no price difference in your case either. If I compare local prices, the Swiss Half Fare Card + a discounted return ticket to and from Interlaken would be CHF 7 cheaper than a Swiss Card. Please note that prices can be different if you order in advance. It depends on your local reseller. Also, the Swiss Half Fare Card is not being offered by all resellers. Please click your country on either the Swiss Card page or Swiss Half Fare Card page for details. Those pages also include a link to a detailed map showing exactly where both passes are valid.

Sounds like a good vacation 🙂 Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Confused about Swiss Card and Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.