Confused which Swiss card/pass to get

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2010 at 7:30:27 #804290

Hi,

We’re spending 4 days in Switzerland (arriving Zurich) and will be covering the following places.

Day 1

– Zurich to Lucerne
    – Lucern: Visit to Mt Titlis (50% with Swiss Pass?)
    (overnight in Lucerne)

Day 2-3
    – Lucerne to Interlaken
    – 1st day: Thinking of Lake Thun Cruise (free with Swiss Pass?)
    – 2nd day: Jungfrau (what’s the discount with Swiss Pass/card?)
    (2 nights in Interlaken)

Day 4
    – Interlaken to Bern
    (overnight in Bern)

Day 5
    – Bern to Paris

There are 2 of us traveling, pls advise which pass is the most economical for us based on our interests. We have been researching a lot and am feeling kinda confused now.

Also, do we need to reserve seats for the above train tickets? If so how do we go about reserving the seats? How much does it cost to reserve? I should be getting the Swiss Card/Pass online from raileurope?

For the excursions to Titlis, Jungfrau and Lake Thun Cruise, do we need to book the tickets online in advance? Or can we get it in Switzerland? If so, where can we purchase it?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 May 2010 at 14:55:26 #832818

Hi hamlet, and welcome to the forum! In order to see what’s included or discounted for a specific rail pass, you can review the detailed map linked from the page of the Swiss Pass, Swiss Card, or any other pass. The second step to select the best pass would be to find the exact regular prices of your travel plans versus the prices when using a specific pass. In your case, these are the prices per person:

Regular fares:

• Zurich – Lucerne: CHF 23
    • Lucerne – Engelberg – Lucerne: CHF 32
    • Engelberg – Titlis – Engelberg: CHF 82
    • Lucerne – Interlaken: CHF 30
    • Interlaken – Thun – Interlaken by boat: CHF 65
    • Interlaken – Jungfrau – Interlaken: CHF 181.80
    • Interlaken – Bern: CHF 26
    • Bern – Basel: CHF 37
    • Basel – Paris: not covered by Swiss rail passes. The price varies with the chosen train/time.

This adds up to CHF 476.80.

These are the fares with a 4-day Swiss Saver Pass:

• Swiss Saver Pass: CHF 221
    • Zurich – Lucerne: free
    • Lucerne – Engelberg – Lucerne: free
    • Engelberg – Titlis – Engelberg: CHF 41
    • Lucerne – Interlaken: free
    • Interlaken – Thun – Interlaken by boat: free
    • Interlaken – Jungfrau – Interlaken: CHF 111.75
    • Interlaken – Bern: free
    • Bern – Basel: CHF 37 (as this is day 5)
    • Basel – Paris: not covered by Swiss rail passes. The price varies with the chosen train/time.

This adds up to CHF 410.75.

These are the fares with a Swiss Half Fare Card (a Swiss Card would be more expensive):

• Swiss Half Fare Card: CHF 99
    • Zurich – Lucerne: CHF 11.50
    • Lucerne – Engelberg – Lucerne: CHF 16
    • Engelberg – Titlis – Engelberg: CHF 41
    • Lucerne – Interlaken: CHF 15
    • Interlaken – Thun – Interlaken by boat: CHF 32.50
    • Interlaken – Jungfrau – Interlaken: CHF 90.90
    • Interlaken – Bern: CHF 13
    • Bern – Basel: CHF 18.50

This adds up to CHF 337.40.

So, a rail pass is a good investment. The Swiss Saver Pass would be more convenient as you don’t have to purchase that many separate tickets. A Swiss Half Fare Card would be cheaper in your case. The purchase options for the passes can be found on the pages of the Swiss Pass and Swiss Half Fare Card page. Please click your country of residence to start ordering.

Booking seats is not necessary, except for the leg Basel – Paris. You can book seats while ordering your point to point ticket to Paris. Other tickets can be purchased at the local rail stations/lift stations.

I hope this helps!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2010 at 18:56:17 #832819

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I guess likely I would be getting the Swiss Saver Pass for 2. Although slightly more expensive but we do not need to purchase many separate tickets.

I’d be purchasing the Pass from http://www.raileurope.co and I think I would need to reserve the seats for the Lucern to Interlaken trip. How can the seat reservation be done? The rest do I need to reserve? As I’m carrying my luggage and I didn’t want to stand all the way.

Also, may I know the reason why Bern-Basel-Paris is recommended rather than Bern – Paris ( TGV )?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2010 at 11:28:08 #832820

Hello Hamlet,

Did you know you can also purchase your Pass here? I did it several times (I need Swiss Passes for work and vacation) and it always worked out fine.

Good luck,

Thomas

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 June 2010 at 11:52:40 #832821

If you click your country of residence on the Swiss Pass page, you’ll be redirected to the correct RailEurope page to order. You don’t need to book seats for any of the trips other than Basel – Paris. But if you want to, you can book seats while ordering your pass. From Bern to Paris, you would travel via Basel in most cases. The timetable can be used to find your preferred train. I mentioned the leg Bern – Basel seperately as you can use your Swiss Pass there, so it does not need to be included in your ticket to Paris.

Enjoy your traveling!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2011 at 15:29:07 #832822

Hi All,

I and my wife are going to Switzerland for four days as follows:

Day 1:
    Lake Zurich (travel from Rumlang to Burkliplatz)

Day 2:
    Zurich to Luzern
    Luzern to Platus and back
    Lucern to Zurich

Day 3:
    Zurich to Bern
    Bern to Jungfrau and back to Bern

Day 4:
    Bern to Geveva

Please advise what would be the best card to buy to make for this itinerary.

Thank you,

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 May 2011 at 4:01:46 #832823

Hi alinomi, and welcome to the forum!

A Swiss Half Fare Card would be an economical solution, as most of your trips are relatively short. Also, it will allow you to get the maximum (50%) discount on the Jungfrau trip.

In case you have other questions, please feel free to open a new topic rather than adding to this old topic. That way, more people will see it.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Confused which Swiss card/pass to get’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.