Tips for last night between Wengen and Geneva

• julian1989
    Participant
    7 posts
    6 May 2017 at 5:17:48 #811700

Hi All,

We will be staying in Wengen from the 24- 28th of June and our current plan is to head to Zermatt for the last night (28-29 June). Currently, we had booked a night at Zermatt which can be cancelled at the last minute. Understand that the Matterhorn region is not worth going should the weather fouls up.Our flight leaves at 9.30pm on 29 June from Geneva.

1. As such, can anyone provide us with suggestions on where to stay for our last night (28-29June). Preferably in a spa town within a maximum of 4hrs by train from Geneva.

2. How early should we reach Geneva Airport for an International flight by etihad.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 May 2017 at 9:45:57 #862872

Hi julian1989, welcome to MySwissAlps!

That’s right, good weather in Zermatt is definitely favorable in terms of views. But to be honest that goes for nearly all towns in Switzerland. Whether or not skies will be clear can only be told about 1 or 2 days in advance. Some other spa options are:

• Leukerbad (about 3 hours from Geneva)
    • Gstaad (a luxurious town, about 2h45 from Geneva). This would allow you to use the Golden Pass line Interlaken – Zweisimmen – Gstaad – Montreux when heading from Wengen to Geneva.

Your flight operator should be able to inform you how early you should arrive at the airport. But to be safe I’d take about 2-3 hours for check-in and customs procedures.

julian1989
    Participant
    7 posts
    6 May 2017 at 10:46:02 #862873

Hi Annika,

Thanks for your tips.

I checked Leukerbad, looks like a beautiful place. We might consider Leukerbad as an alternative.

As for Gstaad, the spas are much more expensive than Zermatt in general.

While doing some research, I came across this placed called Yverdon Les Bains. Any ideas on the quality of the spas there?

Regards

Julian

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 May 2017 at 11:19:16 #862874

Hi Julian,

Yes, Leukerbad may be a good alternative. If you’re heading there from Wengen and you’re up for a scenic trip, mind to enter “Goppenstein” as a via-station when entering your trip in the timetable. That way you’ll actually pass the mountains and avoid the quicker but non-scenic Lötschberg tunnel.

Gstaad is very luxurious indeed. I haven’t been to Yverdon-les-Bains, so I can’t comment on that.

julian1989
    Participant
    7 posts
    6 May 2017 at 14:23:18 #862875

Hi Annika,

Thank you for the tips.

Heres to hopping for good weather come end-June!

• The thread ‘Tips for last night between Wengen and Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.