Buying food on Swiss trains with a credit card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 18:32:11 #813020

hello

we will be traveling from Italy into Switzerland, so we will be on the train for a few hours. Do the trains have food/drink? and do the take credit cards or should we have cash CF?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 5:45:34 #868694

Hi Jsully,

EuroCity trains have a restaurant, open from 6.30 a.m. to 9 p.m. InterCity trains often have a restaurant or bistro, or a mobile trolley selling snacks and drinks. If there are any catering facilities on a train, it will be indicated in the timetable.

If there is no information in the timetable about a restaurant, bar or mini-bar on the train, there will be no food or snacks available: this is usually the case with regional and local trains. There are usually a number of food outlets in the bigger railway stations, and often at least one shop or kiosk selling a few pre-prepared sandwiches, rolls or snacks in smaller ones.

They will accept credit cards, but there might be a minimum spend required.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 August 2017 at 6:05:01 #868695

Hi Jsully,

There has almost always been some issue when I try to pay with credit cards on trains. (Connection problems etc.) I would definitely have cash on me for the train. International trains will accept Euros as well.

In the end I find buying food at the train station a much better option (choice and quality).

Lucas

• The thread ‘Buying food on Swiss trains with a credit card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.