Crime in Switzeraland in tourist places

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 February 2012 at 21:30:58 #804867

Hi,

How common is pickpocketing in major Swiss cities. Is it as bad as in Paris and Barcelona where gangs rob people in broad daylight or like in Vienna where it does happen but only in certain places and at certain time of the day?

What’s the best way to safely exchange money in Switzerland without being robbed?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    2 February 2012 at 10:32:40 #834719

This sort of thing is very rare in Switzerland. I’ve only heard of it happening at major train stations and airports.

Regarding changing money, the most cost effective way is to not change currencies but to use your ATM to withdraw Swiss Francs once you arrive. There will be fees from both the Swiss bank and your bank in Canada but they will likely add up to less than the fees charged to change currency. Before you leave, tell your bank where you will be travelling and ask them to set your daily cash withdrawal limit to the maximum. The fees are the same regardless of amount withdrawn so it makes most sense to do fewer, larger withdrawals. There are ATMs pretty much everywhere.

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    2 February 2012 at 11:04:45 #834720

Hello Marmot,

I completely agree with Kim. I’ve visited Switzerland about 30 times now and have always felt safe. We have left our car unlocked (by mistake… :-)) more than once, with lots of stuff, never had a problem. I can understand your worries though, it’s always better to lock your car or make sure your money is in a safe place.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2012 at 20:18:39 #834721

Thank you for reassurance Kim and Olga!

I’ve read lots of stuff on VirtualTourist about pickpocketing and con artists in parks and major streets in Geneva and Zurich. Now I feel safer.

• The thread ‘Crime in Switzeraland in tourist places’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.