Dairy farms near Murren & Gimmelwald?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2016 at 20:05:04 #808359

Are there any dairy farms where we can see cows with the famous bells near the villages of Murren and gimmelwald. Need them to be close to villages as one of party has limited mobility.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    4 February 2016 at 5:55:35 #848117

Hi Peakrider,

I think there’s a small cheese maker near the train stop at Winteregg, between Mürren and Grütschalp. I don’t have further details though. If it’s just about seeing cows you don’t need to go to one specific place. They’ll be all around, assuming you’ll be there in summer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2016 at 6:53:45 #848118

Thanks for that info Arno.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 February 2016 at 1:16:28 #848119

When will you be there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2016 at 18:26:39 #848120

during the period 17-22 May hopefully….

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 19:04:07 #848121

Late May is kind of slow up there. Snow is too far gone for the skiers, and the trails are still partly blocked by snow (unless it has been a year with poor snowfall) and the snow melt makes the trails rather muddy.

Not sure, but I expect that the cows are still in their barns at that time and altitude. At lower altitudes, such as near Luzern and Bern or along the main line to Geneva, you have a better chance to see the cows out in the fields.

The best time to see the cows with the rally large bells is when they ascend to or descend from their summer pastures.

Google Alpaufzug and Alpabzug to see what you can find.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 February 2016 at 21:08:46 #848122

I took this photo near Buochs ( by Lake Lucerne) in the fall a couple of years ago. Probably in September. I used a film camera, so I have no EXIF information to specify the exact date.

These cows had come down from the high pastures (Alpabzug) and were on there way to the barn.

That time – and the time when they go up to pastures which can be in May or June – are when they wear those huge and heavy bells.

It is possible that there maybe something near Mürren, but i think it is a bit early in the year.

The other picture was taken in Wengen, early in the morning on a September day. The cows only wear small bells in their regular routine.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 19:04:05 #848123

Brilliant photos slowpoke…..many thanks….

• The thread ‘Dairy farms near Murren & Gimmelwald?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.