Day trip from Zurich: Lugano, Locarno and Ascona

• Samir_dutta
    Participant
    58 posts
    18 February 2023 at 18:52:59 #829106

hi Team

am planning a day trip from zurich from 7.30 am by this way

Step 1 -> Zurich to Lugano -> Locarno -> take boat to Ascona (do you know the boat time? from where i can find the same)

Step 2 -> Back to Locarno – Explore local (is there any interesting and must watch beauty??)

Step 3 -> Back to Lugano -> take Mt Bre Furnicular latest by 4 pm

Step 4 -> Back from Furnicular and explore Lake Lugano Park -> take the boat to visit Lugano main station ->Back to Zurich

Please guide.

Regards, Samir

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2023 at 1:16:02 #951071

Lago Maggiore 2022 timetable (2023 not published yet):

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/fileadmin/fap_pdf_fields/2022/3630.pdf

Samir_dutta
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 February 2023 at 3:11:17 #951072

Thank you so much 1960man

Ok. I will keep on checking this website lakelocarno.com/EN/index-EN.html

Regards, Samir

Samir_dutta
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 February 2023 at 3:24:16 #951073

Also one more request how to get the order to visit

Reach Locarno at 10.30 am – visit Ascona (by ferry) (Explore within 3 hrs)

Back to Locarno by ferry/Postbus and catch train to Lugano (visit Mt Bre by furnicular 15.00)

Back to Lugano – explore Lugano park -> boat ride to Lugano stn

Take train at 19.00 for return to Zurich

Or you want to re-order the same. Please help

Regards, Samir

Samir_dutta
    Participant
    58 posts
    19 February 2023 at 4:23:30 #951074

Dear Team

With the help of SBB and you, please find here my itinerary and ignore the previous one. Hope sounds good – our base is Kloten near Zurich (interest area is Ascona + Lugano)

Kloten 7.25 – Locarno 10.14 -> Take ferry to Ascona (boat timing yet to publish) -> Start from Ascona Centro at 13.59 – Cassarate by Bus 2 at 15.12 – catch Furnicular to reach Monte Bre (1st section -> Cassarate to Suvigilana -> 2nd section Suvigilana to Monte Bre-> Lugano Park -> Lugano lake cruise to reach Lugano station -> Lugano 19.02 – Kloten 21.35

Regards, Samir

Yolanda
    2223 posts
    19 February 2023 at 12:59:45 #951075

Hello Samir,

As you have discovered, the official boat timetable is not published yet for travel to Ascona from Locarno. They typically run from April till October, do keep an eye on the website you found so you can plan accordingly. We’ll also update the info and links at https://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakemaggiore/gettingthere.

Attached some useful links in regard to the areas of interest that you listed;

Leaving at your proposed time in the morning should be sufficient time to enjoy the activities you have listed – the Italian area of Switzerland is stunning, it will be a busy day but I am sure you will enjoy it all .That said, your itinerary will also depend if the boats are operating yet. (For your information, you can also take a bus from Locarno to Ascona, if the boats are not running yet. https://www.myswissalps.com/timetable)

If you find time becomes tight whilst in Lugano, there is also a bus from Lugano Park back to Lugano station. With Lugano Park, did you mean Ciani Park? Buses from “Lugano, Palazzo Studi” or “Cassarate, Lido” would take you to the station too, or of course you can also walk. I don’t think there is a boat from here back to Lugano station.

Whilst in Locarno, you could also visit the Madonna del Sasso and enjoy the lovely views here.
    Be sure to spend a little time in Ascona if your schedule allows, Ascona is fairly small but very picturesque and lovely to wander around. https://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/ascona

I hope this helps, if there any specific requests, feel free to reach out and we can guide accordingly.

Kind regards,
    Yolanda

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    19 February 2023 at 14:56:00 #951076

Old town in Ascona is quite nice but fairly small and would not take long to see perhaps 1.5 hrs. But certainly worth walking through. You might consider the very scenic excursion to Cimetta with very scenic mountain and lake views. It starts with the funicular just across from the train station in Locarno. It will take you to Orselina where you can visit the lovely church of Madonna del Sasso and I would recommend lunch on the terrace overlooking the lake at Villa Orselina (hotel) 2 minutes from the funicular . Then continue up a cable car to Cardada and then the ski lift up to Cimetta for very scenic views. FYI if the boat schedule is not convenient to Ascona you can take the bus from the Locarno train station to Ascona (short 30 min ride as I recall that leaves very frequently).

Mark

• The thread ‘Day trip from Zurich: Lugano, Locarno and Ascona’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.