Day trip itinerary advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 December 2014 at 10:33:42 #806763

Hello,

I will be staying in Geneva for a few days and then plan on making my next stop Lauterbrunnen. I have the Eurorail pass and can hop on and off as many trains as I’d like in one day, free of charge. So while leaving Geneva, I wanted to make a day trip to the Geneva lake area/surrounding areas before I arrive to Lauterbrunnen. I have a few sites/towns that I wanted to see, but I am not sure that I would have time to fit all of them in:

– Chillon Castle, Broc Cailler Chocolate Factory, Gruyeres Cheese Factory, Town of Gruyeres/Castle, Town of Montreux, Vevey and Lavaux wineries

I know this is probably way too much to do in one day, but I wanted to know which ones would be possible, which may be best to cut out and what the most time efficient route would be to see as many of these places as possible. I am not sure if I would be able to visit the wineries in the winter, so I do not know if that is worth it or not. My top three would be to see the chocolate and cheese factories, as well as Chillon castle, but I want to squeeze in the other towns and attractions as possible. I plan on starting my day very early and would take a train to Lauterbrunnen in the evening probably after dinner. What would be the best route/itinerary to see as many of these places as possible?

Hope that you can help! Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 December 2014 at 9:36:46 #841417

Hi maxine4,

That’s indeed quite a lot for a day! I would skip the vineyards in Winter. You could start with a start walk in Montreux, then proceed to the nearby Chillon Castle. After that you can take trains to the Chocolate factory in Broc and Cheese factory in Gruyères. In Winter, sunset is early so I don’t think you can fit more into that day. If there’s still daylight you can take a train to Montbovon and travel to Lauterbrunnen via the Golden Pass route. If not, the route does not matter that much and you can just take the quickest one as suggested by the timetable.

Have fun! Let us know how your day was in a trip report if you can!

• The thread ‘Day trip itinerary advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.