Day trip itinerary advice

Day trip itinerary advice

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
maxine4
maxine4
3 posts
Dec 14, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Hello,

I will be staying in Geneva for a few days and then plan on making my next stop Lauterbrunnen. I have the Eurorail pass and can hop on and off as many trains as I'd like in one day, free of charge. So while leaving Geneva, I wanted to make a day trip to the Geneva lake area/surrounding areas before I arrive to Lauterbrunnen. I have a few sites/towns that I wanted to see, but I am not sure that I would have time to fit all of them in:

- Chillon Castle, Broc Cailler Chocolate Factory, Gruyeres Cheese Factory, Town of Gruyeres/Castle, Town of Montreux, Vevey and Lavaux wineries

I know this is probably way too much to do in one day, but I wanted to know which ones would be possible, which may be best to cut out and what the most time efficient route would be to see as many of these places as possible. I am not sure if I would be able to visit the wineries in the winter, so I do not know if that is worth it or not. My top three would be to see the chocolate and cheese factories, as well as Chillon castle, but I want to squeeze in the other towns and attractions as possible. I plan on starting my day very early and would take a train to Lauterbrunnen in the evening probably after dinner. What would be the best route/itinerary to see as many of these places as possible?

Hope that you can help! Thanks!

Arno
Arno
7720 posts
expert &
Dec 15, 2014 - 9:36 AM

Hi maxine4,

That's indeed quite a lot for a day! I would skip the vineyards in Winter. You could start with a start walk in Montreux, then proceed to the nearby Chillon Castle. After that you can take trains to the Chocolate factory in Broc and Cheese factory in Gruyères. In Winter, sunset is early so I don't think you can fit more into that day. If there's still daylight you can take a train to Montbovon and travel to Lauterbrunnen via the Golden Pass route. If not, the route does not matter that much and you can just take the quickest one as suggested by the timetable.

Have fun! Let us know how your day was in a trip report if you can!

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016