Day trip to FurkaPass / Grimsel Pass / Sustenpass

Day trip to FurkaPass / Grimsel Pass / Sustenpass

Share this page on Facebook Share this page on Google+ Share this page on Twitter Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
ariebk
ariebk
11 posts
Dec 15, 2015 - 9:43 AM

Hello.

i intend to visit the Passes mentioned (FurkaPass / Grimsel Pass / Sustenpass) July.We'll be staying in Interlaken.

is it possible to drive there in July?is it possible to do it in the same day?what is the preferred one to visit?

any recommendation ?

Thanks, Arie

Arno
Arno
7707 posts
expert &
Dec 17, 2015 - 10:15 AM in reply to ariebk

Hi Arie,

All passes are open in July, although temporary closures because of the weather or rock slides are always possible. So keep an eye on the traffic reports.

It's certainly doable in a day. Assuming you'll take it slow and make some stops along the way, I would estimate it to take 6-7 hours or so.

For a very special side trip, have a look here: www.grimselwelt.ch/gri mselhotels-en/oberaar-en/. You can hike from the Grimsel Pass to the restaurant, or drive on the (very narrow) road. Of course this makes the day even longer, so do start early.

Wandermann
Wandermann
298 posts
top member
Dec 21, 2015 - 9:47 AM in reply to ariebk

Hi Arie,

Over the years I've made this day trip several times, starting from near Interlaken. If you start rather early you don't have to hurry and you'll have time enough for one or more breaks. I've done this both ways, but for some reason I prefer this order of passes: Susten - Furka - Grimsel. If you prefer this way round take care not to take the Motorway "Gotthardstrasse" in Wassen. From Wassen to Göschenen (and Andermatt) and near the Schollenenschlucht is a very nice part of the trip.

It's a really beautiful day trip if weather conditions are good.

Enjoy!

Wandermann

Last modified on Dec 21, 2015 - 9:58 AM by Wandermann
ariebk
ariebk
11 posts
Dec 21, 2015 - 10:29 AM in reply to Wandermann

Arno, Thanks :)

Wandermann, Thanks a lot for your tip's...

i will consider your advice !!

Arie

ALL SWISS RAIL PASSES

Find out how the several passes work, what they cost and where to buy.

More

HOW TO PICK THE BEST PASS

Having trouble finding the right rail pass? Learn how to pick the one that best fits your plans.

More

THINGS TO DO IN SWITZERLAND

Suggestions for day trips and hiking trails in the Swiss Alps.

More

THE HOTELS WE SUGGEST

Browse the hotels that we like. Budget hotels, hotels near the rail stations, mid class hotels, luxurious 5-star hotels, airport hotels and more.

More

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They can arrange for your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2016