day trip to glacier 3000 in gstaad

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 July 2014 at 22:23:39 #806542

Hi Arno/Annika,

I would like to start by thanking you for your help in my earlier post regarding montreux. I wish to know a little bit about glacier 3000.

I am in Interlaken and am planning to go to glacier 3000 today 29/07 but the weather prediction says that there is going to be snow of 1 cm. I wanted to know whether it is the right time to go there as I am only interested in doing the alpine coaster ride. If not is there any where else in Switzerland where I can do this ride(I have a swiss pass).

Secondly If I go there the next day I will have to carry my baggage along so is there a luggage locker facility in gstaad and for how much( I have 3 big suitcases so need big lockers)

Lastly how cold can it get at galcier 3000.

Thank You once again..I really admire the work you guys are doing.

Regards,

Ankit

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 July 2014 at 8:08:31 #840732

Hi Ankit,

You’re most welcome! I’m afraid that today isn’t the best day to visit high terrain such as Glacier 3000. It’s covered in clouds, so there won’t be much views. And it looks like it’s going to stay that way all day all over Switzerland. Theoretically you can still go up there and do the Alpine Coaster ride, but I personally wouldn’t spend that much time and money on it on a day like this. And there’s the risk they will close the Alpine Coaster if there’s too much rain, snow or wind. You’d better consider a boat trip (e.g. Lake Thun + visit a castle) , or visit Bern or Lucerne. The boats and trains are free with your Swiss Pass.

• The thread ‘day trip to glacier 3000 in gstaad’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.