Decent place to stay at Lucerne,Interlaken,Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 2:49:52 #808687

hi,

i am travelling to Switzerland between June 7th to June 14th.

I would like to stay for one night at Geneva/Montreux considering we are reaching by 11 at Zeneva from Laris and want to take Golden Pass train on 8th morning, should we stay at Geneva or Montreux. Two days at Interlaken and three days Lucerne.

I am looking for decent accommodation which is clean and near railway stations,miso that we do not have to walk much with luggages .

At Interlaken we want to mainly do Jungfraujoch and other local visits .

at Lucerne Mt Titlus, Mt Pilatus, Rhine falls and boat trip of Lake Lucerne.

looking your help in deciding which place we should stay, should we look for the exact Tiwn as mentioned above or some nearby place.

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 March 2016 at 5:28:49 #849678

Hi Saumya12,

Can add more information, like exact travel dates per town, budget per night, is it Geneva or Montreux, etc? Please see here. Thanks!

What to you mean by “Tiwn”?

Did you check myswissalps.com/ geneva/hotels, myswissalps.com/ interlaken/hotels and myswissalps.com/ lucerne/hotels? Is there anything that match your requirements?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 March 2016 at 15:37:16 #849679

1. we are reaching Geneva at 12:30pm on 7th June by train from Paris

2. On 8th June taking Golden Pass Line from Montreux to Interlaken

3) 8,9, 10th June night at Interlaken

4) 11th, 12th June night at Lucerne

5) 13th June night at Zurich

6) 14th June 16hrs leaving from Zurich airport

my question was should we stay in Lucerne, Interlaken or look for some near by town for accommodation. We a re 2 couples travelling together . We are ok with the idea of staying in apartment, only criteria a being neat and comfortable bed and bathroom. Our budget is somewhere between 100- 120 CHF per night.

thanks for all help

Arno
    15471 posts
    22 March 2016 at 18:28:10 #849680

Hi Saumya12,

If you prefer good accessibility then Interlaken and Lucerne are good options as their train stations offer frequent connections to about everywhere. Lucerne is a pretty town. Interlaken not so much, but it’s a convenient location. If you prefer to be surrounded by nature a village like Wilderswil or Lauterbrunnen would be an option.

Apartments are hard to find for just a few night. Most of them are rented by the week. But, you can have a look at http://www.en.e-domizil.ch/holiday-houses/ch/switzerland/.

For your night in Geneva, the City Hostel might be an option (7 minutes on foot from the train station). Hotels closer to the station will be more expensive, although perhaps hotel Windsor fits your needs.

For Zurich, please see this page: myswissalps.com/ zurich/hotels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2016 at 16:05:38 #849681

Hi,

I am not able to find any affordable accommodation at Interlaken. In Interlakn I hav plannwd for a a lakecruise on Thun or Brienz and Jungfraujoch if health permits at that time.

. We are four and staying there for two nights from 8th June to 10th June. We will be reaching on 8th late afternoon from Monutreux

i had two questions:

1. What else can be done at Interlaken
    2. Looking for an affordable accommodation 125CHF max near Interlaken. pls suggest alternative town names. Our requirements is basic with place near train/bus station and clean attached bathroom.

we are then staying for three nights at Lucerne and one night at Zurich. Will it be a good idea to stay at one location between Lucerne and Interlaken for 7 days and do all locations from there. Looking for suggestions on good place to stay please.

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 March 2016 at 8:24:30 #849682

Hi Saumya12,

1. Please see the Interlaken links I gave you previously. Click to the “What to do” tab for suggestions.
    2. Nearby Wilderswil might be an option, or if you consider a place between Lucerne and Interlaken you can look into Brienz, Meiringen, Lungern and Sarnen. Please first select a preferred town. The next step is to find accommodation in that town.
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2016 at 16:37:49 #849683

Hi Arno,

thanks for for your prompt reply. I am getting a hotel within my budget at Wengen. I hope we have train connectivity from here and will be able to use my Swiss Travel Pass for travelling to Lucerne and Jungfraujoch from Wengen.

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 March 2016 at 16:51:25 #849684

Hi Saumya12,

I’m glad you found a hotel that suits your requirements. Which hotel did you book?

There’s a train station in Wengen and Jungfraujoch is easy to reach. Lucerne is a long ride though: 3 hours one way. See here for what’s covered in the Swiss Travel Pass: myswissalps.com/ swisstravelpass/ validity.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2016 at 17:11:58 #849685

Hi Arno,

I have booked Hotel Bernerhof at Wengen. I had one another question.

i am taking Golden Pass line from Montruex to Interlaken , as I had earlier planned to stay for 2 days at Interlaken (8-9th June) , will this pass through Wengen .

Then I plan to stay 4 nights (10th – 13th June) at Lucerne I have booked a hotel called IBIS Luzern kriens , thinking to visit Zurich from Lucerne .Just wanted to find out about the connectivity with train for these two hotels.

Looks like I have delayed my booking process , not able to get any good option. is it better to stay 3 nights at Lucerne and one night at Zurich or four nights at Lucerne and do Zurich from there. I am flying out from Zurich on 5 th day evening (14th)

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    29 March 2016 at 18:40:29 #849686

Hi Saumya12,

Both hotels are within walking distance from train stations: about 200 m from the station Wengen and 400 m from the station Kriens Mattenhof.

I would stay all 4 nights in Lucerne to be more flexible. It would be a shame if you had planned to move to Zurich and that day happens to have perfect weather for a mountain trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2016 at 1:10:01 #849687

Dear Arno,

thanks for for your input. It is very useful

one more query , When we go to Zurich then till what time in the night I can take train back to Lucerne. Also how do you calculated or see this distance? If you could send any link .

My another question was about reaching to Wengen ,when travelling by Golden Pass Lines. Also between Wengen and Swiss-Chalet Bed & Breakfast, merlischachen which would be better location for doing jangfrau and a cruise on either Brienz or Thun. Also will it be a good idea to also do Lucerne from the same place rather than moving to another hotel Kriens for Lucerne and Zurich.

based on your suggestion have decided to do Zurich from Lucerne.

Arno
    15471 posts
    30 March 2016 at 7:50:05 #849688

Hi Saumya12,

All train schedules can be found in the timetable.

Merlischachen is east of Lucerne and too far from the excursions you mentioned. It’s an alternative to Lucerne, not to Wengen. Whether you should stay in one town or multiple towns is a personal preference. You can find travel times in the timetable and see what’s acceptable to you. Long day trips take time, but packing/unpacking and checking out/into hotels also takes half a day at least. So it’s about finding a balance.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2016 at 15:34:13 #849689

Hi,

If you could help me considering that we are only using Swiss Travel Pass

will IBIS Luzern Kriens or hotel in Merlischachen will be better place to stay.

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    31 March 2016 at 6:58:26 #849690

Hi Saumya12,

Merlischachen is a bit further from Lucerne but it’s a prettier location close to the lake. Kriens is more like a business environment with offices. The Swiss Travel Pass covers all traveling from any location.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 March 2016 at 17:06:31 #849691

Hi Arno,

thank you very much for your feedback. I would in this case like to stay at Merlischachen. Please guide what would be the rail station that I should be looking for.

we would like to do Willhelm Tell Express , I picked interest for it on reading at this site only. We could thankfully buy first class Swiss Travel Pass .

i need two tip , firstly from where we can catch Lucerne to Flüelen by boat . Do we need to travel to Lucerne or we could catch in between.

secondly – how to come back from Locarno to Merlischachen.

Thanks your tips helps a lot.

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 April 2016 at 6:50:40 #849692

Hi Saumya12,

The rail station has the same name as the town. Is that what you meant?

You can board the boat in Lucerne or Meggen. Details are in the Swiss timetable (set advanced search to boat only once it displays the first results), or check the separate boat time table (link under “More on other websites” on myswissalps.com/ boatlakelucerne).

How to come back to Merlischachen can be found in the timetable as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2016 at 7:23:40 #849693

Hi,

Need a quick advise I have two options Hitrental Central Apartments, Lucerne or Swiss Charler B&b at Merlischachen. Considering we want to do. Zurich, Pilatus, Titlus, Rigi and Lake Lucerne cruise.Which location will be better for connectivity?

we want to stay for four nights at one of the two locations

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 April 2016 at 11:50:20 #849694

Hi Saumya12,

I assume your second option is actually the same Swiss Chalet you mentioned in your other post? In any case, Lucerne is more central.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 April 2016 at 16:24:25 #849695

Hi,

thanks. Will now stay in the apartment in Lucerne. For Interlaken area I have booked in Wengen. I am unnessarily spending 1hrs morning and evening to travel. Wish I could get an affordable accomodation in Interlaken or Brienz from 8th to 10 th June. attached bathroom is absolutely must. Was looking for something in 130Chf/night max.

thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 April 2016 at 17:04:28 #849696

Rooms with a private bathroom in Interlaken are indeed hard to find for 130 CHF/night. You can have a look at the below options in nearby towns. Both are very close to the local rail station so you will save time compared to Wengen. It looks like they’re almost booked out, but they were still available for your dates when I checked.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2016 at 17:51:38 #849697

Hi Arno,

Thanks for your input. It has helped me booking accommodation very close to Interlaken.

in Lucerne we have booked apartment as ,enticed earlier. however, this apart,net booking they are giving one on second and another on third floor.

we are finding staying at two different levels very difficult.

how to find out whether there are any two bedroom apartments so that, we four can accommodate in one apartments

thanks for your help. My dates in Lucerne are 10th to 14th morning.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • The thread ‘Decent place to stay at Lucerne,Interlaken,Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.