Eurail/Swiss Travel Pass for Paris & Switzerland?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2016 at 6:10:44 #809100

Hi,

I need some help in deciding which pass to buy. I am planning to visit Paris and Switzerland this month. Most of my travel will be in Switzerland. I was browsing and researching for best transportation options to choose between Eurail or Swiss. It’s hard to decide which option is good for me and my family to use.

Here is my travel plan:

Day 1 – Land in Paris, visit a museum and Eiffel tower

Day 2 – Travel from Paris to Lauterbrunnen by train (thought Eurail pass could be good). Just roam around the city.

Day 3 – Go on a scenic drive ( Glacier express)

Day 4 – Visit Jungfrau . Want to use the cable car

Day 5 – Go on a scenic drive (not sure which one to take)

Day 6 – Visit Geneva and head back to Paris

I was inclined to Eurail pass as I could use it for Paris to Lauterbrunnen train travel. Since I am travelling mostly in Switzerland. Not sure if Eurail pass is still better over Swiss Travel Pass.

Any advice/suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ravo

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    4 May 2016 at 14:53:46 #851577

Hi Ravo,

Since you won’t be traveling that much in France, a Eurail pass probably isn’t the best choice. Moreover, its coverage for the Jungfrau region isn’t that good, so you’re better off buying a rail pass for Switzerland and additional tickets Paris-Swiss border.

A 4 day Swiss Travel Pass for day 2, 3, 4 and 5 would work well, especially if you make sure to reach Geneva in the afternoon or evening of day 5. That way you’ll only need some local traveling on day 6, and this can be covered by either the free Geneva Transport Card offered by your hotel, or a 1 day Geneva Pass. Please read about the options here. You can get to Geneva on day 5 using the Golden Pass line from Interlaken to Montreux, which is a very scenic train route.

As for day 3: I’m not sure where you intend to stay, but it’s quite hard to do the entire Glacier Express as a day trip from Lauterbrunnen or Interlaken. You can do part of it as described under “Don’t have time to do the full route?” at our Glacier Express page.

• The thread ‘Eurail/Swiss Travel Pass for Paris & Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.