Detailed Itinerary and Pass Advice

• msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    1 June 2015 at 10:02:55 #807333

I would be staying 8 days in Switzerland and my departure would be on the ninth day. My stay would be as follows:

2 October – Zurich to Murren Base

3, 4, 5 October – Murren Hikes (Allmendhulbel to Murren, Murren to Grustchalp + Trummelbach Falls, Mannlichen to Kleinne Scheidegg, First to Bachsee) + Jungfraujoch + Lake Brienz + Brienzer Rothorne (Maybe)

6 October – Murren to Luzern Base

6, 7, 8 October – Rigi, Titlis + Lake Luzerne Cruise

9 October – Luzern to Hotel Villa Honegg (Honegg, 6373 Ennetbürgen,) Hammetschwand lift and Felsenweg path

10 October – Honegg, 6373 Ennetbürgen, to Zurich Airport

1. Which would be the best pass for me?

2. If I want to save money, can I swap Schithorn with Jungfraujoch? Some people say Jungfraujoch is overrated. What is your opinion?

3. Are Lake Luzern cruise and Lake Brienz cruise good in the same itinerary or can I drop one?

Please reply! Would be very grateful!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    1 June 2015 at 14:29:23 #843590

I have done the calculations

CHF per person:

• Zurich to Murren 92
    • Cable Car 44
    • Cable Car 58
    • Cable Car 26
    • Jungfraujoch 177
    • Rothorn Brienzer 84
    • Murren to Luzern 50
    • Engelberg to Titlis 89
    • Lucerne to Engelber 18
    • Lucerne to Rigi 88
    • Lucerne to Ennetbergen 4
    • Ennetbergen to Zurich Airport 36
    • Lake Lucerne Cruise 38

Total 804

Please suggest what to do now. Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    1 June 2015 at 16:53:15 #843591

Hi msra7hm2,

1. You’ve made a good start here. I suppose you’re following the steps in this guide? You’ve completed step 2, so just continue and you’ll find the best option. I would include the Swiss Half Fare Card and Swiss Travel Pass in your comparison, and possibly the Swiss Travel Pass Flex. I did not check all your fares but Lucerne to Engelberg is around CHF 18 single, so double that amount for a return trip.

2. Schilthorn is indeed cheaper. I don’t think Jungfraujoch is overrated, but it’s certainly not cheap. Details can be found on the Jungfraujoch page.

3. Both lakes are very different. I’d recommend to check our pages about these boat trip so that you can decide yourself.

Good luck with your decision making!

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    2 June 2015 at 11:37:19 #843592

Normal 8 day swiss pass with single ticket to Zurich airport looks best for me.

Arno
    15471 posts
    2 June 2015 at 11:54:59 #843593

Great! Now you can check myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price for purchase options.

Enjoy your trips in Switzerland!

msra7hm2
    Participant
    63 posts
    3 June 2015 at 13:43:13 #843594

Oh wait, Half Fare card is slightly cheaper for me than the Swiss Pass. What do you suggest in this case?

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 June 2015 at 13:58:27 #843595

Hi msra7hm2,

Well, if there’s only a slight difference I would pick the Swiss Travel Pass, because it’s much more convenient. But, it’s up to you of course. If you prefer the Swiss Half Fare Card, please see here for how to obtain it.

• The thread ‘Detailed Itinerary and Pass Advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.