Details, please???

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2013 at 20:15:55 #806141

Hello. My husband and I are from Canada and will be arriving in Zurich (ZRH) on Saturday, Oct 5. Based on my inquiry to this forum back in January, it was suggested we get a 3-day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. I am now about to order them, and make reservations, but have not been able to find answers to some specific questions I have.

First, this is our itinerary:
    Sat Oct 5: ZRH to Zermatt
    Sun Oct 6: Zermatt to St Moritz via Glacier Express (1st class panoramic; Train 906 departing 09:52)
    Sun Oct 6: St Moritz to Pontresina via ? (train/bus?) (staying the night at Hotel Bernina)
    Mon Oct 7: Pontresina to Tirano via Bernina Express (1st class panoramic; Train 961 departing 09:52)

My questions are:
    – Am I correct in assuming we need to purchase a “first class” saver flexi pass in order to reserve 1st class cars for the GE and BE?
    – Do I have to wait until I actually have the rail pass in hand before I can make reservations on the GE and BE?
    – Is it true that we are permitted to carry our own wine & lunch on board to enjoy during our train rides?
    – Will it be fairly easy for us to figure out how to get from St Moritz to Pontresina, either by bus or train?
    – When we are in possession of the pass what, exactly, do we do to take a train from ZRH to Zermatt? Do we have to reserve a seat? Validate the pass? Of course our arrival time may be delayed, we will be tired and jet lagged, and our first time to Switzerland!

Thank you so much!

Vivian

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15481 posts
    19 August 2013 at 2:25:40 #839154

Hi VivianY,

All about seat reservations can be found here. In summary: you don’t need them, unless the timetable indicates it’s required (which is only for a few trains like the Glacier Express, and the panoramic cars of the Bernina Express).

– You may buy a 1st or 2nd class pass. In case of a 2nd class pass you need to buy an upgrade ticket in Switzerland, which covers the price difference between 1st and 2ns class.
    – No
    – Yes
    – There are trains and buses. Very easy to find out, and they’re in the timetable too. You can ask the personnel if you’re in doubt.
    – If you buy your pass here (Rail Europe), you need to have it validated at the ticket office of the airport rail station. If you buy it here (Swiss railways), you can validate it yourself so you can board your first train immediately. In either case you don’t need to book seats. Just board the first train to Visp (either with a change or direct), and change to the train to Zermatt in Visp. All connections are in the timetable.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Details, please???’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.