Different hotels or travel from one central place?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2013 at 22:18:12 #806095

For a 5 day trip, will it be helpful to stay in one hotel in Interlaken for three nights and four days and visit Luzern and jungfraujoch, then spend last two nights in Zurich, spending one day to visit Zurich? I am only trying to evaluate what would be better- staying in least number of hotels and visiting more places or should we change hotels according to changing major destinations? What would be wise, travel back and forth or switch hotels?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 July 2013 at 1:34:21 #839014

Hi Midwestern,

Checking out of hotels, transferring and checking in will take up at least half a day each time. I would recommend to do so if you plan to see a different region from the next town and thus save lots of traveling time on day trips. However, it depends on which traveling times for day trips you find acceptable (train trips can be really nice). For example: Luzern can be reached from Zurich in 50 minutes. From Interlaken it takes 2 hours to reach Luzern. You can check the timetable for more examples. In your case it may make sense to spend some nights in Interlaken to visit nearby destinations (like the Jungfraujoch), and a few nights in either Zurich or Luzern. I would recommend Luzern as it is more amidst the mountains and you can easily do a day trip to Zurich.

Make sure you book hotels close to the rail stations to make things easier. We’ve listed several good options for Interlaken, Luzern and Zurich.

Does this help?

• The thread ‘Different hotels or travel from one central place?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.