Do I need a pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 May 2011 at 11:38:57 #804339

My wife and I will be flying into Basel on July 9th and taking the train to Murren and stay 3 nights. We then return to Basel and travel to Colmar France. We will mainly be hiking and relaxing for the 3 days in Murren. When I do the math it appears that I’m better off not buying any of the Swiss passes. Am I overlooking a charge?

Thank you for your help.

Dale

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    28 May 2011 at 12:09:51 #832965

Hi Dale, and welcome! You may indeed not need a pass for your stay in Mürren, if you plan to make limited use of public transportation in that region. However, a Swiss Transfer Ticket (CHF 130.00 per person) for your inbound and outbound trip (Basel-Mürren-Basel) is cheaper than buying regular tickets (CHF 147.20), so that’s worth considering.

You may have found the tips on calculating travel fares already, but in case you didn’t: the FAQ may be interesting.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2011 at 21:42:33 #832966

Swiss train tickets without passes must easily be the most expensive in the world, if you are just planning a few days, why not hire a car ?

My TGV/air ticket from Switzerland to Australia (180 eur AirAsia including train to paris) cost less than a few days train travel in Switzerland
    TGV Basel – Paris 20 EUR
    PARIS – Kuala Lumpur 99 EUR
    KL – Darwin via Bali 60 EUR
    (All booked well in advance and INCLUDING all taxes, i must add)

3 moderate return journeys in Switzerland – well over 200 EUR with or without rail pass

Swiss rail passes/Half Tax Cards are only worthwhile if you intend to use them at least 6-7 times, even then if you look at the total cost, it is a bit of a shocker.

• The thread ‘Do I need a pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.