Does Swiss pass cover travel to Jungfraujoch?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2014 at 6:19:45 #806704

Hi,

I had just bought a Swiss pass first class. May I know if it covers travels up to Jungfraujoch?

I read somewhere that the Swiss pass only covers to Wengen or Grindelwald, after which we would have to purchase tickets at 25% discount (for Swiss pass holders) for travel to Jungfraujoch? If this is true, what would be the fare for 2 children who are in the family card?

regards,

portia

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    2 November 2014 at 8:58:23 #841271

Hi Portia,

The information you have read is correct and you can find it here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisspass/validity

The children travel for free everywhere, including the trip to Jungfraujoch. Links to prices for the adults can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfraujoch/tickets

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2014 at 14:00:09 #841272

Thank you Arno for the prompt reply. I’m facing another issue now in trying to book the Wilhelm Tell Express on the 1st Dec 14. I was directed to the http://www.raileurope.com.sg website. However, it did not show the reservation for the boat ride from Lucerne to Fluelen. In addition, is there a specific timing and train for the Wilhelm Tell pass? How about the children who hold the STS family card? Do they have to pay any surcharge as well? Please advise. Waiting for you enlightenment……regards Portia

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 November 2014 at 6:34:47 #841273

Hi Portia,

I just tried too and indeed I don’t see the boat connection either, just trains. I will ask Rail Europe about it, but in order to get your reservations quickly, I would recommend to contact them directly and ask how to book this. Even if you would not succeed there is no problem as you can also book this at a rail station on the day you arrive in Switzerland. Should the package be sold out by then, you can still do the same trip with the same boat and train, just without the pre-booked lunch and reservations. But you can always board with your pass.

The children travel for free if you do this without reservations. With reservations, you need to pay for them too.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 November 2014 at 18:34:19 #841274

Hi again Portia,

Here’s the trick: you need to fill out ‘Luzern SGV WM Tell’ as your destination. I just tried Locarno to ‘Luzern SGV WM Tell’ on http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ train/wilhem-tell-express. That will get you the correct train and boat combination.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2014 at 0:35:39 #841275

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for helping! Indeed it works to select ‘Luzern SGV WM Tell’. However, as we are stationed in Bern, would like your opinion if it would be too rush for us to travel from Bern to Luzern and start the Wilhelm Tell trip at 10:12, after which we would have to travel back all the way back to Bern from Locarno.

I checked the sbb website that there is a direct train at 0800 from Bern, reaching Luzern at 0900 and from Locarno to Bern, there is a connecting train at 1604.

regards,

Portia

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 November 2014 at 7:33:05 #841276

Hi Portia,

Well, it would be a very, very long day of traveling. Whether that’s fine with you is your decision. I would prefer to stay overnight in Locarno, then travel back the next day via Domodossola, Kandersteg and Spiez. That way it’s more relaxed and you will see different scenery the whole trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 November 2014 at 4:05:35 #841277

Hi Arno, Thank you for the suggestion! regards, Portia

• The thread ‘Does Swiss pass cover travel to Jungfraujoch?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.