Rome to Interlaken via Domodossola late night

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2017 at 22:58:19 #811403

Hello!

I am flying into Rome and trying to get to Interlaken on Monday, 04/17. There is a train from Rome to Domodossola that arrives at 21:07. I am wondering if I will then be able to catch a train to Interlaken from Domodossola, or if I’ll have to wait until Tuesday morning. I am trying to use the http://www.sbb.ch website to buy a ticket from Domodossola to Interlaken without luck. I would appreciate any help and advice! Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 3:57:41 #861548

>> I am flying into Rome and trying to get to Interlaken on Monday, 04/17. There is a train from Rome to Domodossola that arrives at 21:07. I am wondering if I will then be able to catch a train to Interlaken from Domodossola, or if I’ll have to wait until Tuesday morning.

Hello and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You will have to wait until Tuesday morning unfortunately. The last service connecting to Interlaken on Monday 17 April leaves Domodossola at 20:48.

>> I am trying to use the http://www.sbb.ch website to buy a ticket from Domodossola to Interlaken

Have you considered buying a Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card? Depending on your plans in the Interlaken area (e.g. mountain transport, boats) the cost of buying individual tickets could quickly add up.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 8:33:55 #861549

Hi ancfletcher and welcome to MySwissAlps!

If you are having trouble at the Swiss railways website (SBB) it may be because they are in the middle of re-launching their website and there are teething problems. Keep trying.

Also try buying point to point tickets here.

You can check train schedules and connections here, you will indeed have to wait until the next morning.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 10:30:25 #861550

Why do you fly to Rome, for a stay in Zwitserland ?

Because from Rome to Interlaken is a very long trip, about 7 hours.

Last train from Rome (depart 16.00) to Interlaken West (arrival 22.34)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 April 2017 at 17:38:54 #861551

Thank you, all of you, for your help! Does it make a difference if I pre-book my Domodossola to Interlaken train ticket? Can I just purchase it at the station, or will it cost more money versus booking in advance?

(To Brrahms- my travel plans unfortunately changed so I am meeting my friend in Interlaken rather than Rome like our original plans)

Arno
    15483 posts
    15 April 2017 at 6:47:11 #861552

Hi Ancfletcher,

As far as I know the last train to Interlaken departs 20:48. But you can still reach Brig in Switzerland if you want. The timetable provides details. You’d better not buy the ticket in Domodossola. I’m not sure if there’s still a staffed office open at that time or what ticketing machines can offer. In any case it takes time, so it makes sense to print you ticket at home (see websites here), or buy it in Rome before departure. Buying tickets for trips within Italy in advance gives you a better chance of getting the lowest price (see here). I tried to buy a ticket online but all websites I tried indeed didn’t allow me to for that route. I think it’s a technical issue. Unfortunately that happens every now and then for trips in, to and from Italy. It could be solved in hours or in days. I’d buy in Rome if the online option does’t become available in time.

Have a good trip!

• The thread ‘Rome to Interlaken via Domodossola late night’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.