Driving Cinque Terra to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2011 at 18:15:28 #804117

My wife and I will be driving from Cinque Terra, Italy to the Interlaken area in early May. It will be a 2 or 3 day trip. Do you have any suggestions re routes, intinerary, weather, road conditions etc. Most scenic??

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    10 February 2011 at 3:29:36 #832164

Hi Fozzie! The most obious route is to drive via Milan and to enter Switzerland at Chiasso, heading on to Lugano, Andermatt, Lucerne and Brienz and ending up in the Bernese Oberland (looking at your other post, I assume this is your destination). The trip itself, which offers nice scenery, takes about 6 hours. You can choose to drive through the Gotthard tunnel or to take the Gotthard pass road, which will prolongate the route. You may want to stay overnight in some of the towns you pass. Andermatt and Lucerne can certainly be recommended.

Another option is to enter Switzerland at Tirano and to head for the beautiful Engadine valley crossing the Bernina Pass. St. Moritz or nearby towns are perfect for a short stay. Next, drive to Chur – this section is very pretty as well – and get to Zurich, Lucerne, Brienz, and so on.

The trips can be planned using, for example, Google maps. This will give a fair indication of travelling times. Hotels for overnight stays in Switzerland can be booked here. Please mind that you’ll have to purchase a motorway vignette for Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2011 at 6:13:57 #832165

Thankyou very much! This is most helpful as I was not aware of the motorway vignette.

• The thread ‘Driving Cinque Terra to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.