Driving from Italy toward Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2011 at 22:03:23 #804145

Hi

My wife and I will be visiting the Valais region in June 2011. We will be driving in a hire car from the Milan region, toward Brig and ultimately toward Tasch/Zermatt.

Roughly how long does the drive from Milan to Tasch take. I am not sure whether we want to take the Iselle- Brig car train or go over the Simplon pass. Which route is longer? Is the Simplon pass route difficult or dangerous. We will be driving on the opposite side of the road that we are used to.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 March 2011 at 10:10:45 #832258

Hi snapry,

That ride would take about 4 hours, assuming you’ll take the Simplon pass. Of course it depends on the weather conditions and where exactly in Milan your journey starts. The Simplon pass is “famous” for a couple of rock slides that occurred in the settlement of Gondo. However, I wouldn’t call this pass more dangerous than any other Swiss pass road: you want to avoid driving there in (snow) storms, but the road itself is pretty good. It also depends on whether you’re used to driving in the mountains. The key is not to drive any faster than what feels safe to you (and than the speed limit of course ;-)), and to use your gears right. Information about that can be found on our transportation page.

It would be great if you could post a short review about your trip once your back.

Enjoy your stay!

• The thread ‘Driving from Italy toward Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.