Driving from Mulhouse to Milan in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2017 at 11:47:03 #810715

Hi,

i’ll be driving with my family from Mulhouse to Milan in April 2017 and I would like advice on the route and whether i’ll be affected by any passes not being open? Also as this would be my 1st time driving through Switzerland then would there be any requirements regarding ‘winter tyres’.

thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 February 2017 at 19:53:11 #858639

Hi Andy68 –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

A rule of thumb is that high alpine passes open during the first two weeks of June. Some open earlier. Depends a lot upon the residue of the Winter snowpack.

This is a start.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficinfo

I know that there websites, perhaps such a TCS (Touring Club Switzerland) site, that also tabulate pass openings. Don’t have the links handy at the moment.

Major tunnels such as the Gotthard Pass car tunnel are open all year, but the scenery inside the long tunnels is not all that nice.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 February 2017 at 10:38:12 #858640

Hi Andy,

Winter tyres: The rule is that your car must have appropriate equipment. We Swiss residents have two sets of tyres, and have the winter tyres on the car from December to April or later. For your international trip, if you stay on the major roads and use either the Gothard or the San Bernardino tunnel, I would say you don’t need winter tyres. In April, the access roads to those tunnels are likely to be snow free (although there is no absolute certainty!) If you use the Simplon Pass (no tunnel there, but they try to maintain that road open throughout the year) or the Grand-St-Bernard tunnel (access road to high elevation) you might need snow tyres, and will even want to have snow chains of the appropriate size available in your trunk. Police may decide that winter equipment is mandatory on certain road sections based on weather conditions.

If you use a rented car, check with the rental company what is their policy on winter equipment. I would assume that in Mulhouse, and in April, they don’t routinely provide cars with winter tyres.

• The thread ‘Driving from Mulhouse to Milan in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.