Driving license in Switzerland for car rental

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 6:22:42 #809031

I am from india and have only indian driving license printed in english.I dont have international driving license but for car rental i Have the following:

• Indian driving license printed in english
    • Schengen visa
    • passport in english

Can i still get car on rent with the above documents?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 April 2016 at 14:02:42 #851299

Hi Devpari –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

I’d check the website of your preferred rental car provider.

I use Avis, and they accept my USA driving license, also, not surprisingly, printed in English. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2016 at 15:39:30 #851300

You should be able to rent a car with your Indian License. I have rent car from Hertz in the US with my India license so it should be good in Switzerland as well since you are a tourist for few days.

But for driving a rented car in Switzerland you require a “motorway vignette” on your windscreen. See this link and get acquainted (http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r/trafficregulations). Swiss rental cars have a motorway vignette. You can get a vignette online or at the border.

• The thread ‘Driving license in Switzerland for car rental’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.