Driving passes open early April?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2017 at 3:59:27 #810503

Hi All

I am doing a BMW European Delivery the first week of April and plan to drive from Munich to Zurich. I’ll be in Zurich for two days and am looking for some good driving passes that are open and do not require winter tires.I was originally planning to drive Klausen, Furka, and roads around that area but through my research they won’t be open until May.

Are there any passes near Zurich and Lucrene that will be open in early April?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 January 2017 at 10:04:11 #857704

Hi Zerofighter and welcome to MySwissAlps!

From my knowledge there are no closer ‘mountain’ passes than what you mentioned to Zurich or Lucerne.
    Opening times for all passes will vary and closures can happen at any time. Take a look at our Traffic Information page for further details. It would be best to check back closer to your travel dates to see where you can go.

regards,
    Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 January 2017 at 22:14:20 #857705

High Zerofighter –

Adding to Lucas’ comments, I believe that you will be required by Swiss law and/or insurance to have winter tires on your car. Also, a vignette for using the motorways.

A rule of thumb for the high passes is that they open in the first or second week of June, unless there is a late snow or two or three.

Many passes have very good roads. The Klausen pass is not one of them. At least, did not when I drove it about 5 years ago.

Check this link:http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    3 January 2017 at 9:05:56 #857706

Swiss law indeed requires a vignette for the motorways. Also it requires you to equip your car adequately for the circumstances. In practice, that means driving on summer tires in winter is out of the question. In April, it’s usually Spring in lower elevations, but still winter in high alpine terrain.

• The thread ‘Driving passes open early April?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10610 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.